Bowl Angle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crookshanks

Reaction score
This probably isn't even worth a new thread, but...

I've realized that I really, REALLY don't like it when a bowl angles forward, away from the face. It makes me feel like I'd have to stand in front of a mirror to light it. I like to be able to see as much of the surface of the tobacco as possible when I look down at the bowl as I smoke. So, when i look for new pipes, if the plane across the rim isn't parallel to the bit's point of entry to my mouth, I move on. It also, (unreasonably, I know) makes me feel like...it could spill. It won't, but the feeling unsettles me. Perhaps as I talk, the fluffier ash will...settle forward.

Should I get over this? Is there some advantage I'm missing? It makes me not able to accept an awful lot of otherwise very nice Canadians, Billiards, Dublins, etc.

Wait, what Canadians cant forward?

I feel the same way in pipes such as zulus and yachts. In fact I scorched a Kaywoodie freehand jumbo zulu because the bowl cants forward and I cannot see what I'm lighting.

I do exactly what you stated: light them in a mirror.

Almost all straight pipes cant forward just a little. They look really.... primitive, if they don't. But it's usually really slight, like a couple degrees.

The trick is to tilt the bowl level with your eyes when you light it... All but one of the very coolest horns I've had I was able to do this with. I loved the pipe but I wont buy one that extreme again.. Flame travels straight up and if you cant get the rim somewhat straight you will do exatly what TO said.. Scorch the rim..

And No, if you prefer that your rims be level by all means limit your purchases to level rimmed pipes. There is no 'pipelaw' saying that because someone else likes it you have to. Don't get caught up in a bunch of 'experts' telling you what to enjoy..

Texas Outlaw":69jf0g6w said:
Wait, what Canadians cant forward?
Yeah, usually they dont, not a lot of "catalog" ones, but often when a guys like Jody Davis, or Michael Lindner make them, they have this...tilt on the end, and it makes me itchy. Maybe they are more truly, "freehands" that are really just funky Canadians, but, upon looking at them, thats what you'd think of when you see them.

Its pretty slight. I'm being pretty whiny. And maybe, if i stuck one in my mouth, it wouldn't bother me. but on the screen, they turn me off.

http://www.lindnerpipes.com/images/pipes/blowfish01.jpg

Like that...the bit hole is either going INTO your tongue (as opposed to across the surface, or just...into your mouth) or, if you tilt the bit to blow toward your tonsils, the pipe is at such an angle that the bowl is gaping downward.

Again, whiny...but when shopping online, that turns me off.

And, maybe it looks worse to me than it is.

That's just an overbent stem. Opinions will vary as to the aesthetic vs smoking pleasures of that pipe.

yeah I guess all pipes do have a slight cant. I was thinking you meant more like a zulu. I have a horn that I can't see the rim when lighting no matter how much I tilt it.

Now I'll spend the evening seeing how much cant my Canadians have...

Texas Outlaw":e4ucz7y9 said:
Usually about 3 degrees forward. :)

Rad

Shouldn't have told him that...

:lol: :lol: I can picture him spending 6-7 hrs measuring tonight .. working with a compass, protractor, a set of calipers, a level,a micro meter and a square ... :lol: :lol:

Canadians usually lean just a little to the left compared to Texans, too. :p

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Literally laughing out loud... thats funny!!!!!!!

Rad Davis":9ij7lgh0 said:
Texas Outlaw":9ij7lgh0 said:

Rad
So....is it normal then? A good thing?

A MASTER is present!! I was on smokingpipes.com, and hit the "add to cart" button on one of your pipes the other day, as my birthday present (an AMAZING black blasted Rhodesian with Sandalwood ring, I think) and it...was GONE! Disappeared!!! I nearly cried!!!

Rad Davis":6aezbrut said:
Texas Outlaw":6aezbrut said:

Rad
Thanks Rad, since I have several of your Canadians, you saved me some measuring. Now, where the hell is that level...

Crookshanks":qw0lozkp said:
Rad Davis":qw0lozkp said:
Texas Outlaw":qw0lozkp said:

Rad
So....is it normal then? A good thing?

A MASTER is present!! I was on smokingpipes.com, and hit the "add to cart" button on one of your pipes the other day, as my birthday present (an AMAZING black blasted Rhodesian with Sandalwood ring, I think) and it...was GONE! Disappeared!!! I nearly cried!!!
Thanks for your kind words! :)

Most all classic straight shapes (billiard, bulldog, Dublin, etc.) are canted forward a bit. If you make a billiard witih the bowl perpindicular to the shank, it looks like it's leaning backwards.

Rad

The forward cant makes it easier to hit the exact bottom of the bowl when drilling the draught. I believe that's why you see so many.

Buddy

Having done a few pipes at 90 degrees (before I knew better), I can say that for sure the effect is either of the bowl looking like it tilts back, or worse, the stem looking like it's bending up toward the bowl. 3 degree cant, and the effect completely disappears.

Drilling for the "exact bottom" of the bowl would be a mistake imho.

Rad Davis":ye8vz4kc said:
Thanks for your kind words! :)

Most all classic straight shapes (billiard, bulldog, Dublin, etc.) are canted forward a bit. If you make a billiard witih the bowl perpindicular to the shank, it looks like it's leaning backwards.

Rad
My Pleasure! Your work is truly beautiful, and, to me...very singular. I can often pick yours from a blind bunch, and to me, that means a lot!! Especially when it's for GOOD attributes! ;)

As to the necessary angle, does this mean that, what looks normal to most people, looks forward to me? So that one that is perpendicular would look so to me?

Or, am I seeing ones that are more canted than what would look straight?

E.g. this fine speci-(wish it were)-mine.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rad%2Ddavis/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=56122

That one looks canted forward to me. Is it?

Yes, it is. Here's a better profile pic:

FH01350MainF.jpg

Rad

Rad Davis":dz92mpyz said:
Yes, it is. Here's a better profile pic:

FH01350MainF.jpg

Rad
Ok. Thanks for posting. Is that just for looks, or is there some advantage to the smoking properties?

Do you have a pic that you wouldn't mind posting, of one that doesn't look canted, but is a bit? Does anyone have one of one that is actually straight, and therefore looks like it tilts back?

Jon