Bowl Materials

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelhammer

Reaction score
Having recently received my first morta pipe I have a question. Does a pipe made of morta, in general, smoke wetter than a pipe made of briar? I only own one morta pipe and it is one wet, gurgling smoker. I smoke in my garage which is at around 50 degrees with the heat on. My favorite briar pipes smoke just fine out there. I have this new morta, which seems to be crafted perfectly. However it is in my top three for smoking wet. I am at a loss with it. The moisture is definitely collecting at the end of the tenon. I see, nor can I find, any reason for it. The tenon has a nice chamfer, which is what I have seen as a recommended fix for this. Any ideas?

Hmmmmmm....

My Experience with morta has been that it smokes drier. I have three from different makers (one is my own!) and have noticed that while they smoke considerably hotter the smoke is drier. Your issue could be due to the age of the morta. Is your pipe a nice pitch black, or some other color?

It is not a pitch black. More of a dark gray with black lines.