Brand new Peterson Aran - lucite or vulcanite??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbookbinder

Reaction score
Just bought a new Aran XL02, and I would swear the stem is acrylic - shiney, hard, smooth, looks like my Italian pipes. I thought peterson used vulcanite - have they changed??

My new Shannon is definitely vulcanite. It is a bit harder than some others, but definitely vulcanite.

hate to admit it but I don't know how to post a picture on the internet. :oops: I do have a digital camera so maybe I can figure it out

This thread has helped many a new member. It's an unofficial rule, but pictures are required! :lol!:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t3090-how-to-post-pictures-in-the-forum

Paul,
I was terrible at posting pics too. TERRIBLE!

But, Theres 2 little ports at the bottom of my PC, in front,and I plug my camera into one.
Then a thing pops up asking what I want to do,,and (I made a shortcut on my desktop) I just make it put my pics in that shortcut tab.

the video link that kyle gave you is a must, as I tried and failed alot of times at posting pics here, but after watching that tutorial, its pretty dang easy actually.

Try it, once you get down, you can show us your new Pete ! I want to see it too.

If it feels (in LL's terminology) "hard and clacky" in your mouth, it's lucite.

If it's kind of soft the way your other vulcanite bits are, vulcanite.

:face:

Yak said it best. I can't do any better. Also vulcanite will oxidize when Lucite stays black and shiny. I thought (though I am certainly no expert) that all of the black Peterson stems were vulcanite and only the colored ones were Acrylic, but I could certainly be wrong about that. Either way, that's one nice looking pipe.

According to Smokingpipes.com, the Aran line has vulcanite stems.

Thanks all. Now that I can finally post pictures (thanks Kyle) I will have to show off all of my boys on another post. :D

As for this one, time will tell if it pales out or not but the stem sure feels like lucite to my teeth

paulbookbinder":30gyzs4y said:
Thanks all. Now that I can finally post pictures (thanks Kyle) I will have to show off all of my boys on another post. :D

As for this one, time will tell if it pales out or not but the stem sure feels like lucite to my teeth
Yup, nice looking pipe, indeed! The Peterson pipe I mentioned above that I bought in Dublin has a "black" acrylic stem. But the sure fire way of telling is that vulcanite will start to discolor fairly fast.