brand question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
So my Mom recently told me that my 9 year old daughter wants to buy me a pipe for Christmas. She told me that she'll spend around $100. Isn't that awesome that my mom is willing to spend all that money on a nice pipe from my daughter? I told her not to do it but she's very stubborn and I don't think I'll be able to convince her not to.

In any case I have an estate Nording that smokes great, a Danish Stanwell thats pretty new and smokes great even though I left the pre carb in, and various other pipes that are listed in my profile. I'm considering telling her to just get one of these cause I've had good experiences with the brands but I'm definately open to trying other brands that have good reputations,

I'm sure this question has been asked here before but I searched and couldn't find much....what pipes have you guys had good experiences with for around $100. Thanks in advance.

As a suggestion, I've seen new pipes on here from up-and-coming pipemakers that might be in that realm of $100 or so.

Any aversion to that? Maybe they can chime in and work with you. :)

Smokingpipes dot com has a new Peterson line they call Kildare, it's a sandblast with acrylic stem, under $100, looks like a winner!

awesome thx for the replies guys...does anyone have any experience with Brebbia? I've seen a couple of pipes that I like from them.

I'd opt for three MM Natural Freehand cobs. They are large enough for anything you want to snoke, and quite lightweight for their size. Of course I'm a cobber.

tiltjlp":zr6h8kak said:
I'd opt for three MM Natural Freehand cobs. They are large enough for anything you want to snoke, and quite lightweight for their size. Of course I'm a cobber.
Those are so cool, and inexpensive, too. 8) Very unique.

Boxerbuddy":ilm1rmib said:
awesome thx for the replies guys...does anyone have any experience with Brebbia? I've seen a couple of pipes that I like from them.
Brebbia is also a fine pipe maker.
I have one and it is probably my favorite pipe at the moment.
they have some really nice pipes <$100

there was one on ebay a month or so ago that had me drooling. but i snoozed, and consequently lose'd(?)

definitely a good contender

The very top Brebbias (Lineas) are -- as smokers -- as good as any pipe gets. Anywhere. They're so grotesquely over-priced they're effectively invisible. Leading to situations like an old-stock, un-smoked Linea AA selling on ebay maybe a month ago for $30.00 Whoever got that one got a bargain.

The cheap ones, like any cheap Italian, are ruined by cheap-ass cast stems with constricted airways that cost nearly as much to fix than the pipe did.

:face:

Yak":zqy5j3on said:
The very top Brebbias (Lineas) are as good as any pipe gets. Anywhere. They're so grotesquely over-priced they're effectively invisible. Leading to situations like an old-stock, un-smoked Linea AA selling on ebay maybe a month ago for $30.00 Whoever got that one got a bargain.

The cheap ones, like any cheap Italian, are ruined by cheap-ass cast stems with constricted airways that cost nearly as much to fix than the pipe did.

the brebbia i have (go-go) would classify as one of the "cheap ones" but it suffers none of the ailments you listed. it has a hand carved stem and no airway problems. This is the first i have ever heard anything negative about brebbia pipes.

The likelihood that you have a hand-cut stem on a low-end pipe is nil. Even Cavicchi uses cast stems. Because making them by hand from rod stock drives the price up beyond what people can afford.

Since you already have a couple of Danes, maybe an Italian would be a good change up. Savinelli seems to be pretty well liked around here.

For what it is worth, I love my Savinelli.

Not to jump into this thread, but does anyone have any feedback on Hester Pipes?

Check out the Kaywoodie Sterling's at GFO (www.greyfoxonline.com). I have bought 2 in the last couple of months and both are good smokers. They do not have the metal stingers found in traditional Kaywoodies, just a push/pull stem. The 2 I bought were the $71 sterlings but he also has some higher grades listed for $105, plus free shipping on all.

Good Luck,
BobH

Ok so if I'm considering Peterson should I only be looking at system pipes or are all their pipes good.

I'd like to help you out on this but my experience with Peterson's is very limited. I did have a system Pete back in the 80's and it was a good smoker. It's the only pete that I've ever owned. My problem with it was that I didn't care for the P-Lip (I think that's what they call it) and I have a fondness for acrylic stems. There is a discussion going on in "Ye Olde Pipe Rack" about Pete's which is currently ongoing which may help. Good Luck........

BobH