Breaking in a Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, when the 'baccy takes on it's own individual characteristics and I can discern them easily is the pipe broken in

+1.  When a pipe is broken in, the smoker isn't tasting hot air or burning wood. A thick cake is just a sign of frequent use of a pipe. It can divert a smoker from the fact tha a thin layer of carbonized tobacco is all that's needed. Building thicker cake is a sidetrack, I think, but sidetracks are part and parcel of pipe smoking, I guess, so worse things can happen.

I usually smoke Burley and Virginia blends. I am still not sure how you can tell. Guess, I am slow on this topic, or just over-thinking it.

If you can remember how the pipe smoked when you first got it and compare it to how it smokes now will probably be the only way.
I've had pipes that smoke great from the first and I've had some that were just alright. Not buying many NEW pipes my experience is limited to the few I have.
If the pipe smokes bad from the beginning and still after a month, it might be your doing something wrong or the mixing or to different type tobaccos in one pipe. I tend to keep stronger tobaccos in a few selected pipes and lighter in others.
The ones I have broken in recently had very little change, they smoked well in the beginning and still do, a little mellower but, that's about it. I think if your looking for a big change you might be disappointed.

Must be my Simple man simple mind approach with just a little dash of Kentucky wind-age for good measure. LOL!

"I guess what I am trying to find out is does it taste better? Smoke cooler? Not go out as often? "

Yes....Yes....Yes.  Three questions three answers.

pepesdad1":nviv2km0 said:
"I guess what I am trying to find out is does it taste better? Smoke cooler? Not go out as often? "

Yes....Yes....Yes.  Three questions three answers.
It depends, it depends, it depends.......

:joker: 

Cheers,

RR

Once a new pipe has been broken in, it tastes better and smokes cooler. The relights seem independent of break-in to me. It has never been something I have noticed anyway. I think once I have smoked one a dozen times or so, it is significantly better. They continue to improve with time, but I have found some are just destined to be better smokers for whatever reason. I guess I am saying some only improve to a certain point. That point has been pretty good though with every pipe I have ever owned. The ones in the favorite category are REALLY good.

There is not much hard data here. There are lots of opinions and we all have different experiences. This is one of those things you have to decide for yourself I guess.

My breakin procedure consists of filling the bowl and smoking it. I try to be aware of keeping the bowl from getting too warm for the first few bowls. I smoke my favorite pipes once a day as a rule. A new pipe gets smoked every day with the favorites until about that 12 bowl point. Then it stays in the favorites or gets smoked when I feel like it. If it seems to be showing particular promise, I will keep it in the every day short list.

ITSETTLE":xict8y6q said:
I usually smoke Burley and Virginia blends. I am still not sure how you can tell. Guess, I am slow on this topic, or just over-thinking it.
Many "newer" smokers seem to put forth this same type of question and there really no single hard/fast answer. As with the whole process of pipe smoking, it is a matter of time and bowls smoked in a pipe. Some "come on line" in this aspect faster than others, it's a singular thing per pipe.
As to the "wow factor" you ask about, that is something which takes place due to many factors at the particular time of the particular smoke. I have many, many fantastic smoking pipes that I enjoy all the time, but usually only have a "wow" moment every so often. And it's not always with the same pipe or tobacco. I'd suggest that you relax, enjoy the pipes and tobacco's that you are smoking and learn from each one as they will tell you something. And yes, "over thinking it " can be a common trait that can get in the way of enjoying a pipe. :twisted: 

In my mind, I always consider a pipe broken in, when I don't need to worry about pitting or spider webbing the briar anymore. A lot of this, depends on the internal geometry of the bowl though. I find that a pipe with square internal geometry is much easier to break in and get the bowl seasoned enough that I worry less about creating any damage.

Conversely, a pipe with a tall rectangular internal geometry could possibly create a burnout after smoking 50 plus bowls, especially so if smoking a folded flake, which usually burns much hotter.

IMO, cake certainly provides some protection in protecting the bowl, but it is not necessary, since the briar will soak up oils and residue from the burning tobacco, which will season the briar, and make it much less susceptible to burnouts. Because of this, I tend to keep my bowls reamed, which enables me to taste the briar, as well as keeping my pipes opened so that they hold the maximum amount of tobacco. Some pipe smokers let so much cake build up, that the pipe only has half it's original capacity.

If I remember correctly, when reading one of Rick Newcombe's books, when Rick asked Bo Nordh how long he felt it took to break in a pipe, he said that Bo replied, "Two tins." I don't remember him stating a particular number of bowls, or why he felt that a minimum of two tins got the job done.

Once upon a time, I had a pipe I was breaking in. It smoked like sh!t. I was disappointed as it was a new pipe I had just bought from a B&M, and money doesn't grow on trees. I kept at it for a few weeks, and there wasn't much improvement. I did all the necessary abatement tasks, chamfering, smooth the tobacco chamber, remove bowl coating, kept it clean, let it rest, found a tobacco that at least tasted good...

...my fancies eventually required other options. So I left the pipe to its slot on the rack, and moved on. Months later, after I had forgotten about the pipe almost completely, I picked it up again. I hesitated, but thought better of it. I smoked it. Same tobacco as I chose before (I wrote it down). Suddenly, it smoked fine. Did its sitting there, collecting dust "break it in?"

Nope. What I've noticed is, since every pipe and tobacco smoke somewhat differently (especially in my orphan pipe collection--I have some real tough cookies) I believe applying technique can also be said to "leave a ghost" in the method of packing, tamping and smoking particular pipes. Call it muscle memory, or the brain going through a series of automatic actions transmitted to all things involved while smoking. Sometimes breaking up the routine is necessary. I'm a very routine person, change comes slow.

Moral of the story? Some pipes can be beaten into submission. Others refuse, and will beat you. It's a theory of mine, via life et al, sometimes it's appropriate to push a little, sometimes to pull. Sometimes to the right, or to the left. Up or down. Practice and experience are the best teachers.

So nowadays, if I have a troublesome new pipe, I walk away, and return later. I don't blame myself, or the pipe, just circumstance and the moment. Breaking in a pipe, unless it's truly flawed, doesn't have to be doubt-raising or terrible experience. When it finally starts to relax, I do too. Or when I start to relax, it does in kind. Go figure. :heart:

8)

Kyle Weiss":043qk7iv said:
Once upon a time, I had a pipe I was breaking in.  It smoked like sh!t.   I was disappointed as it was a new pipe I had just bought from a B&M, and money doesn't grow on trees.   I kept at it for a few weeks, and there wasn't much improvement.  I did all the necessary abatement tasks, chamfering, smooth the tobacco chamber, remove bowl coating, kept it clean, let it rest, found a tobacco that at least tasted good...

...my fancies eventually required other options.  So I left the pipe to its slot on the rack, and moved on.  Months later, after I had forgotten about the pipe almost completely, I picked it up again.  I hesitated, but thought better of it.   I smoked it.  Same tobacco as I chose before (I wrote it down).   Suddenly, it smoked fine.   Did its sitting there, collecting dust "break it in?"  

Nope.   What I've noticed is, since every pipe and tobacco smoke somewhat differently (especially in my orphan pipe collection--I have some real tough cookies) I believe applying technique can also be said to "leave a ghost" in the method of packing, tamping and smoking particular pipes.   Call it muscle memory, or the brain going through a series of automatic actions transmitted to all things involved while smoking.  Sometimes breaking up the routine is necessary.  I'm a very routine person, change comes slow.  

Moral of the story?  Some pipes can be beaten into submission.  Others refuse, and will beat you.  It's a theory of mine, via life et al, sometimes it's appropriate to push a little, sometimes to pull.  Sometimes to the right, or to the left.  Up or down.  Practice and experience are the best teachers.

So nowadays, if I have a troublesome new pipe, I walk away, and return later.  I don't blame myself, or the pipe, just circumstance and the moment.   Breaking in a pipe, unless it's truly flawed, doesn't have to be doubt-raising or terrible experience.  When it finally starts to relax, I do too.  Or when I start to relax, it does in kind.   Go figure.  :heart:

8)
Well said brother!!! :cheers: