Briar unfit for a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3779

Reaction score
Sometimes there is a piece of briar that doesn't measure up to something I want to invest the time into to make a pipe out of knowing it will be a compromise in quality in the end. I have read a few things that suggest there are some makers who would chuck it in the woodstove and pull a different piece, I can't seem to bring myself to waste it if it can become something else. So here is the latest creation, one candle holder with hickory and briar, slate bottom. Shipped and in a private collection.

Wish I had done a little better with the camera angle so it was straight up and down in the pic...but I am a lousy photographer I guess
joan10.jpg
" />

It's always preferable to resource your materials into something other than it's intended. Nicely done!

I had a piece of briar blow up on me while turning it on the lathe.  The piece left over was large enough to make a decent pen with.  I now have a matching set.

That made for a nice looking set Bobostro61!! Sometimes it's a mishap in the machining, sometimes a defect in the briar, and sometimes just too small a piece to work into something. Here is a winestopper I made the wife I think last year. She loves the wood grain and color but does not smoke a pipe, so this smaller piece has found a use that makes her happy.

10999410.jpg
" />