Brick and Mortar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
Your preferred "Brick and Mortar", whether in person or online and why?

Mine is "Telford's" in Mill Valley, CA... a huge selection of estate pipes in almost every price range.

A Very Peaceful Day to You Brethren,

Sadly there are no more truly pipe oriented B&M's here in the DFW Metroplex. Even the Edward's over in Dallas is more of a Cigar Store than what it was even 10 years ago. Most are Cigar stores that may carry a dozen Lorenzo's or such and maybe 5 or 6 varieties of tinned bac's and a few renamed lane bulk Aro's if that. Back when I started pipe smoking back in 69, there were TWO pipe shops in downtown Dallas and about 5 or 6 scattered through the cities of Dallas, Arlington and Ft. Worth! Now. zip!  :twisted: Glad I was able to start smoking when I did! I don't envy what newbies have to deal with today! Thank god for the web  :twisted:

monbla256":6g553gi1 said:
Sadly there are no more truly pipe oriented B&M's here in the DFW Metroplex. Even the Edward's over in Dallas is more of a Cigar Store than what it was even 10 years ago. Most are Cigar stores that may carry a dozen Lorenzo's or such and maybe 5 or 6 varieties of tinned bac's and a few renamed lane bulk Aro's if that. Back when I started pipe smoking back in 69, there were TWO pipe shops in downtown Dallas and about 5 or 6 scattered through the cities of Dallas, Arlington and Ft. Worth! Now. zip!  :twisted: 
To my dismay, this seems to be the trend. I feel blessed to have reasonable access to two within 100 miles... in California, no less!

I live in the Berkshire Mountains of Northwestern Massachusetts. Not a B&M around for 100 miles in the state. If you make a 50 mile drive into New York near Albany there are several. Mainly Habana Supreme in Albany and Park Lane Tobacconist in Clifton Park. Both fine tobacconists, but the kicker is the sales tax on tobacco is New York is 75%. Thus I do most of my tobacco purchases online.

Sadly, it seems that the B&M market in my area is non-existent.
Favorite online vendor would have to be Rich at 4-Noggins.  Can't beat the service, the wonderful blends that 4-Noggins has such as Lord Methley, Killington, Prairie Winds, etc. make 4-Noggins my first and last stop in ordering.  McCranies for Red Flake would be next.

herbinedave":e7yzi3uj said:
I live in the Berkshire Mountains of Northwestern Massachusetts.  Not a B&M around for 100 miles in the state.  If you make a 50 mile drive into New York near Albany there are several.  Mainly Habana Supreme in Albany and Park Lane Tobacconist in Clifton Park.  Both fine tobacconists, but the kicker is the sales tax on tobacco is New York is 75%.  Thus I do most of my tobacco purchases online.
Ouch!

In the UK, a big nope on both counts, no such thing as good service in the UK any more, I have to say that Glynn seems to be on the right track at GQ Tobaccos.

+1 for Rich at 4noggins, great service and Rich is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, couldn't ask for a nicer etailer in my books.  :sunny: 

Briar Spirit":fh7udu2f said:
In the UK, a big nope on both counts, no such thing as good service in the UK any more, I have to say that Glynn seems to be on the right track at GQ Tobaccos.

+1 for Rich at 4noggins, great service and Rich is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, couldn't ask for a nicer etailer in my books.  :sunny: 
Especially sad at this news...

Like others who've posted in this thread, except for a couple "smoke shops" that sell mostly cigarettes,some cigars, OTC pipe tobaccos and very few pipes, there are no pipe shop B&Ms within an a 60-90 minute drive from where I live.

Other than buying a cigar locally now and then, I have to do all my shopping on line.

I buy pipe tobaccos from the "big boys" -- P&C, SPC, 4 Noggins, CI, JR Cigars, and occasionally from other online vendors such as Pipeworks & Wilke, Park Lane, Iwan Ries, McCranie's and Peretti's, to name a few.

When it comes to pipes, I'll grab a restored estate pipe from reputable vendors and the occasional commissioned artisan pipe.

We did have an excellent Olde Worlde Tobacconist in Oxford City until a few years back and the chaps who ran the store were exceptional in every sense of the word. Fantastic service, extraordinarily helpful, knowledgeable and understanding, one merely needed to express in general terms the sort of tobacco you were looking for and those guys nailed it every time for folk, they were beyond superb. Sadly they sold their business and now that same shop is a tacky cigarette shop with hordes of nasty rubbish, haven't been in there since the sell-out but the Mrs has and she said it's like walking into a newsagents now, very upsetting even to her, she loved the whole scene of visiting the chaps in the past, she said it was the only shop in the City where she felt welcomed.

Briar Spirit":3k7a66s5 said:
We did have an excellent Olde Worlde Tobacconist in Oxford City until a few years back and the chaps who ran the store were exceptional in every sense of the word. Fantastic service, extraordinarily helpful, knowledgeable and understanding, one merely needed to express in general terms the sort of tobacco you were looking for and those guys nailed it every time for folk, they were beyond superb. Sadly they sold their business and now that same shop is a tacky cigarette shop with hordes of nasty rubbish, haven't been in there since the sell-out but the Mrs has and she said it's like walking into a newsagents now, very upsetting even to her, she loved the whole scene of visiting the chaps in the past, she said it was the only shop in the City where she felt welcomed.
Truly sorry for the news, Briar.

As virtually all of my ancestry is from the UK, I had hoped one day to visit and find friendly, ruddy-cheeked tobacconists on nearly every corner. My Great Grandfather Crane was from Pulham Market. I picture him at the Crown Inn enjoying a pint, pulling on a clay.

As I type this, I realize how ridiculous it sounds, to expect such a thing in this day in age.

A Happy New Year to You,

We do still have some traditional B&M's here but they're dying out fast sadly, pulling on a clay pipe is possible in the Public House gardens but I shouldn't be surprised if that gets banned soon, there are lots of places outside we're not allowed to smoke at any more, getting pretty weird here.

Here's the Crown Inn

CInn.jpg

looks like a nice little Pub.  :sunny: 

Briar Spirit":tkinfbne said:
We do still have some traditional B&M's here but they're dying out fast sadly, pulling on a clay pipe is possible in the Public House gardens but I shouldn't be surprised if that gets banned soon, there are lots of places outside we're not allowed to smoke at any more, getting pretty weird here.

Here's the Crown Inn

CInn.jpg

looks like a nice little Pub.  :sunny: 
Thanks for the photo, Briar!

Happy New Year to You,

I used to support my local b/m a lot a number of years ago but when the state of Florida instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco a few years ago, that was it for me. I refuse to pay 22.95 for a tin I can buy on line for 8.95. I still buy fuel, a lighter once in a great while, have him fix pipes for me but that is about it. He does not carry the types of pipes I buy or I would give him some pipe business.

pepesdad1":2vbiect9 said:
Sadly, it seems that the B&M market in my area is non-existent.
Favorite online vendor would have to be Rich at 4-Noggins.  Can't beat the service, the wonderful blends that 4-Noggins has such as Lord Methley, Killington, Prairie Winds, etc. make 4-Noggins my first and last stop in ordering.  McCranies for Red Flake would be next.
WOW!! Great minds STILL think alike!!

The nearest B&M is Rich's in Portland. You can smoke inside as long as you are not drinking anything, but you cannot smoke outside the shop. Rich's also sells a wide variety of periodicals and newspapers.

There is no sitting area inside, but the folks there are helpful and friendly.

Also nearby is Steve Books' place in Oregon City. It's a great place to go to pick up some blends and talk with Mr. Books, but it isn't a place to smoke.

In my town there is a Cigar shop (a former pipe shop) that sells some bulk blends and a Cigarette shop that sells a surprising array of bulk blends including some Sammy G blends.