Brigham rock maple filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P&T mag once rated Brigham filters at the top in a pipe filter comparo. They are effective and can be washed and reused. Big Question: is a Brigham pipe with a filter better than one with no filter? Hmm. I’m thinking.

As a guy with more than 40 Brigham pipes in the rack, I think the rock maple filters are quite useful. They don't impede air flow at all, and are very effective at extracting excess moisture from the smokestream. As has already been mentioned, they can also be washed (rinse under running water & air dry) and reused.

I always have a filter in place when I smoke any of my Brigs. If nothing else it keeps cleaning to a minimum (ever see the filter cavity of a pipe regularly smoked without a filter in place? Ick!).

Having said that, some of my favourite pipes are non-filtered, though they may be system pipes a la Peterson.

I use the filters in my one Brigham. As mentioned above, it helps with moisture. Then the pipe cools, I pull it out and let it air dry. I use a filter for perhaps ten smokes.

Where it shines next to say, a Savinelli filter, is that a pipe cleaner can pass through.

Lemme add a point or two for your consideration: I’ve found thinner cleaners — like Dills — will not leave fibers in the rock maple filters.  Fuzzy cleaners may or they may not shed fibers, depending on the particular filter.  It doesn’t take many fibers in there to affect the draw, I’ve found, and reapplication of a fuzzy cleaner may not be a sure cure for the clog. Also, I always enjoy old movies with leggy blondes and guys in classy suits, fedoras and classic shaped pipes, like Brigham’s.  So I always feel more presentable smoking a Brigham, even when I’m taking a break from mowing the lawn while wearing my tattered chinos and stained John Deere cap. (Dream on, eh?) Finally, I’ve gotten very good buys on Brigham’s in the SP estates section. Look in the mixed country of origin bucket.

Of all the filter pipes out there I personally would rather have one that will pass a cleaner. There are just times when thats the only way to get an odd chunk of tobacco or ash dislodged from the airway and save your smoke. There are some really good looking Brighams out there too.

Jim