Bring back the MM Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
With the discontinuation of that line in 2000 (yes, I remember these - and they smoked great!) and the apparent interest in this design, maybe we could pressure MM to bring them back - at least possibly for a limited time.

We brothers could start an email, telephone, written letter/ etc. request line going in to MM to bring back the Bulldog.
This could be spread to other pipe smoking forums as well (as some members here are also members on other pipe smoking forums), and with enough interest we might at least get a small run.

We're sure not out anything by trying! With all of the Cob fans out there (Corn Cob Snobs, hint hint - and others) and if they get enough requests, it might just work.

I know that I alone would be willing to purchase a dozen of these (should last a while if taken care of), maybe more.

Anyone else up for this?

i would be up for this.
i love that style, and i love cobs.
i have emailed them once or twice, with no success. if we rallied enough people i feel like we might have a chance!

I just talked to Phil, the MM general manager yesterday about another matter, and I just sent him, a follow-up email, suggesting, among other things, a revival of the Bulldog. Next time I talk to Phil, I'll let you know what he has to say. I worked with Phil on the CCSS Natural Freehand, and now on another project. If there is enough interest, I could approach him about a BoB Imprinted Bulldog. The problem, if there is one, in bringing back the Bulldog, might be with the diamond shank.

In fact, I think the Great Dane Egg might be the Bulldog minus the diamond shank and the amber stem.

that would be awesome if yo could coerce*ahem* i mean convince him to bring them back. I think the great dane egg is similar, but the bulldog had a stouter bowl and a beveled edge, as well as the diamond shank. There was a great one for sale on Ebay many months ago, with great pictures. too bad i didnt save them :p

nogbert":zpuufebe said:
that would be awesome if yo could coerce*ahem* i mean convince him to bring them back. I think the great dane egg is similar, but the bulldog had a stouter bowl and a beveled edge, as well as the diamond shank. There was a great one for sale on Ebay many months ago, with great pictures. too bad i didnt save them :p
I'll do my best. Phil's been very receptive to many of my suggestions, such as offering more natural models and the natural Freehand. What can take time, of course, is the growing of the right size corn, and the curing of the cobs, before they can use them for making pipes.

Could the pipes in the pix be the topic of this post?

"There's a story behind every bowl"

[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16389899/14]

No, those aren't Bulldogs, which had a rounded outer bowl, and didn't had a flat bottom. They were similar to the Great Dane Egg below.

GreatDaneEgg.jpg

Corn+cob+pipes+from+1945.jpg

this is the only picture i could find of it. its the one in the center toward the top.

i also really like the looks of the spherical one toward the bottom right of the photo.
its a real unique shape.

COY anyone? Cob of the Year?

...by the way, that macarthur with the 12 foot mouthpiece looks like a beast! "does your pipe hang low....."

also, i love the two bent ones on the top.. any info on those? as in name and year range?

nogbert":8h46966a said:
Corn+cob+pipes+from+1945.jpg

this is the only picture i could find of it. its the one in the center toward the top.

i also really like the looks of the spherical one toward the bottom right of the photo.
its a real unique shape.
Yes, center row - 3rd one down. I remember them well, still a shame they were discontinued.

I've emailed twice and called once - still waiting for a response back.
The BOB imprinted Cobs would be fantastic - i'd still be up for a dozen of them either way.

would be interested, as well as the bent one, left column, second down. Those would make some great fishing pipes.

I never heard about MM bulldogs before , if this takes off you can count me in.

nogbert":crupi95g said:
http://www.tobaccoretailer.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=PublishingTitles&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=09FFEE227839435AAE06DD05C67B7F99&AudId=F67D06B89FCE4844AAF38E40C9F62E01

sounds like there are plans to bring back the bulldog already! and a churchwarden. i am very excited. Hopefully our efforts will push them further toward bringing back the bulldog!
Let's hope they have a bumper crop this year then.

I just got off the phone with Phil, and yes, the Bulldog Cob is coming back, as long as the current corn crop survives all the violent storms. Phil said it will a minimum of 6 months before the factory can make enough Bulldogs to start offering them. Also, he is looking for a supplier of reed stems, so that they can once again offer Reed Cobs. He didn't have anything to report as far as extra-coat, optional acrylic stems.

Great to hear, can't wait!

Whether it be from demand (popular request) or part of the plan all along, doesn't matter. I am not sure if this will be a permanent production, so i'm still going to stock up.

That is so awesome to know! I've just gotta grab a few when they make it to the masses! The bamboo and reed ones also sound intriguing as well, time to bulk up the herd!