British Buttner Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubhdarra

Reaction score
Hi, my name is liam, i'm new to the site, and i have a burning question...

So i recently acquired a british buttner pipe. I know they're pretty collectible, but i have no idea how much they generally go for or who buys them or even where to sell them. i'm an avid pipe smoker (took me five years to discover "good" tobacco, but i'm pad'n and tad'n on an epic level).

at any rate, i'd really appreciate any info anyone can give me on this. all i know is it was probably made in the 30's by the same people who make buttner reamers, under patents in the US, UK, france and germany.

thanks,
liam

the pipe
IMG_3141.jpg

disassembled
IMG_3142.jpg

box
IMG_3139.jpg

Doesn't matter where you show that thing off, Liam, it's still weird lookin.
icon_lol.gif

yeah squatch, no doubt. thats why i wanna find out how much to charge someone who actually likes it. i dont care if its my second best smoker, i cant stand this thing. figure i'll sell it and buy a meer lined briar like the guy said this thing was.

Says right on the box "the healthy pipe". Maybe sell it to congress?

Obviously most folks know that the company produced a famous pipe reamer (I use mine frequently) but I've NEVER seen one of these let alone in it's orginal box. It reminds me a bit of an old "Dawes Underslung" and looks to date from sometime in the 1940's. Very neat find indeed. Tom Colwell would be proud (that's an inside joke) :lol:

That bowl looks like bakelite with a briar insert under a meer bowl. Yes?

bakelite body, some kind of firebrick looking filter, and i think the bowl is ceramic. more or less like you said though.

see, i just want something that looks cool and smokes okay. fiddly and neat is all well and good, but its just not my thing. i'm a smoker, not a collector.

thanks gar :)

i think i'm gonna take it down to the antique shop (which despite me never seeing pipe smokers around me does an unbelievable trade in tobacciana) and try to sell it on consignment...

people pay more in stores...

They're a Dawes derivative. Actually as sensible as the Peterson system, plus you get some of the calabash's cooling by expansion.

Dunno what it's worth...

Buddy