British pipe; who made 'em?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I've had these four pipes in my collection for some time.  The first two are stamped Medley; the square shanked Canadian has wonderful grain showing on the botton of the shank which is not blasted; the calabash shape is an old favorite from my bent pipe days...

The second two are stamped Arlington; the Oom Paul is one of the largest I've seen and has quite nice wood.  The little dublin was gifted to me by a dear friend; about three quarters of the pipe is covered with the most exquisit bird's eye, and the band is sterling...

I never knew who made them; they've been good smokers over the years.

The stem on the Calabash has a very Dunhill-esque look to it, but that's the only clue I'm picking up.

The Dublin's stem is in upside down . . . or else a bad replacement.

:face: 

The stem on that Dublin does look like it may be fitted 180 degrees off. Who knows the makers. There were so many pipes made in that era from England, perhaps several dozen makers? Since they are good smokers, just enjoy the pipe mystery!

Yak":eb5ai80t said:
The Dublin's stem is in upside down . . . or else a bad replacement.

:face: 
I was standing on my head the last time I smoked it :roll: .

I figured the stencil names might be familiar to someone, i.e. Parker, Everyman, et al.

I believe the first two are GBD made. They are on the GBD shape chart.

The two that are stamped Arlington were probably made by Arlington Briar, which was a huge pipe maker in the DC area. They made many private label pipes for shops all over the US.

Mike

Fine looking smokers. Enjoy them...they have a lot of history behind them.

I was right on the Arlington, and know I'm right on the GBD.
Mike

hagley":o390s0fd said:
Mike
Thanks. I looked on line for a GBD shape chart but couldn't find anything with those shapes shown.

Idlefellow":vbooue7k said:
hagley":vbooue7k said:
Mike
Thanks.  I looked on line for a GBD shape chart but couldn't find anything with those shapes shown.
I know GBD shapes, having owned several hundred over the years. I also have GBD shape charts. Sometimes the non-branded or private label GBD did have a shape number on them.
Mike