British Television

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene Adler

Reaction score
Does anyone else watch and enjoy tv shows and movies from the BBC?

I've recently discovered the charm and joy that is British Television. :D

I was raised on Monty Python reruns, and later Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances.

I know a lot of people who are smitten with the new-generation BBC dramas, especially the sci-fi ones. Not my speed, but I do love Top Gear!

Love many British programs.

Fawlty Towers is a classic.

Black Adder

Mr Bean

Many are on PBS

My only dabbling into British Television is The Office and Mr. Bean. Both classics IMHO!

I love the I.T. Crowd. I think they play them on IFC but I usually watch them online.

We still watch Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By. Great stuff.

jhuggett":ouugn02j said:
I love the I.T. Crowd. I think they play them on IFC but I usually watch them online.
I adore the I.T. crowd! It's so fun. You know, you might try looking into Black Books, which was written by the same guy. It's avalible on Hulu for free. =)

Doc Manhattan":hwxvwfsi said:
I was raised on Monty Python reruns, and later Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances.

I know a lot of people who are smitten with the new-generation BBC dramas, especially the sci-fi ones. Not my speed, but I do love Top Gear!
Ditto!
then Again said, I don't get much time fro TV of late!

I would also have to say that "Are you being served" is a must see. I don't know if its still on in reruns but it is available on DVD.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gb9r383G32M" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't have a TV anymore, but I do watch a lot of BBC shows online. They have a lot of quality material, like the historical series Rome and The Tudors which were made in cooperation with American cable networks.
Or their own Spooks, which evolves around British intelligence. I also love their documentaries, like the Horizon series. They tend to be a lot better than the average Discovery Channel shows.

Recently, I decided I wanted to buy myself a bow tie as a nice, eccentric fashion statement. After checking Google, I was pleasantly surprised that the newest incarnation of the Doctor in the legendary BBC series Dr. Who agrees. When it comes to these trivial but fun topics, maybe I should make one about bow ties ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kgmJE4hHCgw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two's Company (Elaine Stritch) and Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy (Alec Guinnesss) were both well worth my dollar.

Steve

I haven't watched much since they took Benny Hill off the air. Haven't heard the sexy sax since either. :cry:

The "old Dr. Who" (Tom Baker), Eastenders (Don't mess with the Mitchell Brothers!!!), Monty Python, Are You Being Served, Benny Hill, Keeping Up Appearances, Mr. Bean.

Eastenders was far and away my favourite (UK spelling :D ). The local PBS station stopped showing it a while back. I have missed everything since Pauline Fowler died in the square (alone) on Christmas Eve. That was quite a few years back (2006?), and even further in the UK since Eastenders was a couple years behind when it aired in the USA. Great stuff indeed......

By far the best was/is the original Little Britain for its self-deprecating look at the British people. The new Dr. Who episodes are very well written making them much more than 11 pm Saturday night fodder for PBS.

The wife and I are both hooked on the Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot series, and of course the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, both from Granada TV. We have purchased all of the DVD's including the just released Poirot set which finally included the Murder on the Orient Express.

In days past I grew up watching the Avengers, the Saint and The Prisoner. Later I used to watch the Lovejoy series, Coronation Street, Are You Being Served?, and some others. Also, the Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt antique shows, especially the David Dickenson episodes. I have never been much for British comedy of the Benny Hill sort, but when they were growing up our kids loved Mr. Bean.

When we moved from Canada to the USA, one of the biggest losses I felt was I could no longer watch snooker on TV which was a weekly thing (watching and playing) for me back then. Can't even find a snooker table in the USA anymore, and fewer in Canada as well.

I love British TV and I try and watch alot of it, from the New Doctor Who to MI 5, Yes Minister and many others both current and reruns but my family does not like them so much, so I only get to watch them infrequently.

wow, i vaguely remember some benny hill when i was younger on the tv.

i get more of a kick listening to british radio on satellite sometimes! some reggie and fergie group?

camoham

Ah yes, The IT Crowd. Great series. And for anyone who hasn't ever worked in IT, it really is just like that show! I can't tell you how many times I asked people if they'd tried turning it off and on again. Or worse still, "is it plugged in?"

Another excellent British show is Spaced, featuring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz)