Broadening my horizons

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
So far in my limited experience with pipesmoking I have not strayed far from my Englishes, and I have no regrets in this because I love my English blends. However I would also like to broaden my horizons. I would like to try a virginia or two and couple of burley's. Unfortunately like most any of us I do not have the budget to jump in blindly and just smoke until I find one that sticks, so what are a few of the fan favorites for some of you.

Have you seen the "BoB's Essentials" post in this section?

GLP Fillmore is a VaPer with a bit of Latakia added...might be a good way to bridge from English to Virginias.

Orlik Golden Sliced is also a pretty popular option (and pretty inexpensive, as well).

Definitely McClelland's Christmas Cheer! :bounce:

PipeGeek":brc7jjm3 said:
Have you seen the "BoB's Essentials" post in this section?
I did but I was reading from my wife's phone at the time, I miss a lot when I do that.

christeaux":8au0brsf said:
I did but I was reading from my wife's phone at the time, I miss a lot when I do that.
For some reason, this made me laugh more than it probably should...

Rob_In_MO":z3ibjhhn said:
Dutch":z3ibjhhn said:
Either that or their Holiday Spirit.
Totally different tobaccos though--Holiday Spirit is much more an aromatic with strong chocolate notes. Christmas Cheer is a straight Virginia. 8)

Stuff I like, because I also like English stuff and wanted to venture out:

Rattray's Brown Clunee, Marlin Flake or Old Gowrie-- all variants on a theme, all darker, matured mixes with a little Perique and other stuff added in.

GL Pease Union Square -- my first venture into straight Virginias--it's a good'un, bright, toasty, mild-to medium.

McClelland Dark Star (aka McC's 2035 in bulk) -- Nice, dark, thick matured Virginia. Less toasty, more bold. Can be bitey if you aren't careful, but I don't have a problem with it.

SG's Best Brown Flake -- hint of natural sweet, somewhat thick, very easy smoke, very cool.

Hope we all give ya some good hints. 8)

christeaux":unxi6uwu said:
So far in my limited experience with pipesmoking I have not strayed far from my Englishes, and I have no regrets in this because I love my English blends. However I would also like to broaden my horizons. I would like to try a virginia or two and couple of burley's. Unfortunately like most any of us I do not have the budget to jump in blindly and just smoke until I find one that sticks, so what are a few of the fan favorites for some of you.
As to Virginia's I would recomend all of McClellands Virginias but in particular their Virginia Woods for a ribbon cut and the Matured Virginia #27 for an easily rubbed out flake. They are both nice straight red and yellow Virginias, slightly sweet and mellow and easy on the tongue and smoke cool and dry to a nice grey ash to the end. No syruppy sweet goop just really nice tobacco! Either one would be a good intro to the world of Virginia for a begginer as well as being a continued blend as you get more experience. I smoke both and have smoked Balkan/English blends for over 40 years and usually start the day with one of these :p

Kyle Weiss":shue3mk1 said:
Rob_In_MO":shue3mk1 said:
Dutch":shue3mk1 said:
Either that or their Holiday Spirit.
Totally different tobaccos though--Holiday Spirit is much more an aromatic with strong chocolate notes. Christmas Cheer is a straight Virginia. 8)
True, but they're both pretty good (at least to an Aromatic smoker). :mrgreen:
And both are quite different than the English blends the OP has been smoking...

To me, the best intro Va's would be McClelland 5100 and Orlik Golden Sliced. They are simple and tasty and easy to branch out from.

Burley: It's hard to go far afield with Solani ABF, Wessex BS, and/or PA or CH.

For a powerful virginia punch, there's Mac Baren's Virginia No 1. The tin aroma alone will make your eyes water.

Zanaspus":ix9l99ur said:
To me, the best intro Va's would be McClelland 5100 and Orlik Golden Sliced.
Also, this. I love both of these blends. 8)

I wouldn't be doing my local B&M credit if I didn't recommend something by IRC. Their Virginia Flake is a heck of a product. They have about a million other house blends, mostly aromatics. People swear by the Three Star Blue -- If I'm not mistaken, they normally throw a sample of this in with an order.

Virginia's--to me Rattray does them best. HOTW, Old Gowrie, and Marlin Flake.
Burley-- C&D is the king of burley, and the most relatively pure ones you can buy. Burley Flakes #2 and #3, Big N Burley, and Burley Straight are all good ones.