Broken Pipe - Steven Books

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Sad news came across my newsfeed on Facebook today, Master Tobacconist Steven Books has passed away.

I have enjoyed many of the House of Calabash blends over the years. Steven's tobaccos were always top notch. He will be missed.

RIP Mr. Books. :cry:

Aw man, that breaks my heart. His blends were unique and he was a master blender that should've gotten far more notoriety. He will truly be missed!

I'll smoke some Seven of Nine tonight in his memory.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

Smoking a bowl of Wild Rose in his honor.

Rande, I agree. He should've been much more recognized in his craft.

He was truly a Master Blender and will be sadly missed. His Bing Crosby Christmas Blend is simply outrageous. My opinion, the most overlooked tobacco blender of out time.

Rest In Peace Mr Steven Book

A sad day in the tobacco World

I had the supreme pleasure of being acquainted with him this past year, as part of the Portland Pipe Club. We had too many conversations to count, including how most blenders nowadays overlook the impact of relative pH in a blend can make or break it for certain people, and some awesome stories of his time in England with Comoy's.

I had a bowl of his Scottish Mixture yesterday, the final bit that I had socked away. He will be dearly missed as a master blender and as a good friend.

Always sad when one of these old boys go. Wonder if he published anything, left notes or an apprentice or two?

Richard Burley":0keg9qpf said:
Always sad when one of these old boys go. Wonder if he published anything, left notes or an apprentice or two?
He left his recipes and at least attempted to train his daughter, Eva; she's asked for us in the club to place orders in the past with her, but as of now I've not seen any blends come from her. I hope she's able to at least keep blending some of the same blends that Steve made.

Sad news indeed. He always sounded like a unique personality in the pipe/tobacco business. His blends were always spoken of highly. Hopefully his recipes can live on thru his daughter down the road.

I agree with all the above. I always stopped at the shop when passing through Oregon. He was a unique and valuable man to grace our community. I was in the high Sierra this week and missed this topic. I hope that Eva can keep his blends and practices going.

Last night, I smoked a blend in his honor, that I picked up in the shop last year when it was closing. "Steven's Own" in a gourd calabash no less. Delicious!

I used to go to his shop in Oregon City and he would drag two folding chairs out front into the sun. We would light up a blend of his choice and he would tell stories. Good times. Bye Steve.

Did you ever get to see the back room where he kept the raw leaf? I wish I had asked to.