Brothers: What's Your Favorite Aged Flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Kilted! Yeah, if I'd had mine 20 years ago, I'd have had more "pain killer" coursing through my blood stream, too. I quit drinking when my 3rd wife became pregnant with my 19-year-old son... to set a better example for him, and to save me having to look for a 4th wife.... I'm happy to be setting a better example for him, but sometimes I'm not so sure I made the right call on the other thing... :mrgreen:

JT":z94zo9dr said:
my 3rd wife became pregnant with my 19-year-old son...
MY GOD man, if my third wife became pregnant WITH my 19-year-old anything I'd START drinking :affraid:

The possibilities are nearly endless!

Your choice of words are confusing ... better sort it out toot sweet :bounce:

:lol!: :cheers: :lol!:

In most places, with the apparent exception of north Georgia, women become pregnant "with" child.... not "by" them. Choice of words seems fine.... problem is more likely attributable to intentional misinterpretation, or, perhaps, recent consumption of another "12 pack of beer." :mrgreen:

Ahem . . .

Tops on the list (as you've noticed by now) is FVF. Get it in tins. Bulk is cheaper, but if you're going for truly superlative quality down the road, go with tinned. People say they're putting it up in larger tins now, so it should be somewhat more affordable.

The former PCA blends that McClelland is now putting out again should be strong candidates, if they're even anywhere close to what the originals were.

Nobody here's mentioned GLP's Embarcadero, but if you can fancy a Virginia-Oriental flake, this one's a lead pipe cinch for future incredibility. I've earmarked the first half-pound of it I put away for 2023, and the second for 2028. Ditto Fillmore if you like VaPers.

GLP has what's probably the definitive rap on ageing tobaccos posted in one of the categories of his site. I'm too lazy to find it & link it. Which is a good thing, because if you haven't read through his various raps on tobaccos and briars, the education you'll get in the process of reading through everything there to find it will save you years of getting on top of stuff.

(I'm supposed to preface that with, "In my opinion," but some contentions are just self-evident. And that's one of them).

:face:

Yak":02lig281 said:
Ahem . . .
LOL!

Yak, I haven't heard that SG is making the tinned version of FVF in larger containers. Have you seen it available for sale yet?

JT":cahs9mdm said:
In most places, with the apparent exception of north Georgia, women become pregnant "with" child.... not "by" them. Choice of words seems fine.... problem is more likely attributable to intentional misinterpretation, or, perhaps, recent consumption of another "12 pack of beer." :mrgreen:
Very well then sir, absent further explanations, I'll just have to go with assumptions :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wasn't suggesting 'by' them, but rather that a 19 year old had been produced :twisted:

Just went to Smokingpipes and checked.

No dice.

Memory is such a fragile thing :pale:

kilted1":cihw68lj said:
I wasn't suggesting 'by' them, but rather that a 19 year old had been produced :twisted:

LOL! Well, of course, he's 19 now, but even though he was large at birth (10 lbs 12 oz) and is a precocious lad, his development wasn't "that" advanced. I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't have had nearly as much sympathy for my kidney stone woes had she given birth to a 19-year-old. :scratch:

BTW: Apology accepted! Sorry if I came across as a wise-ass.... old habits can be hard to break. :mrgreen:

Yak":oape74u1 said:
Memory is such a fragile thing :pale:

LOL! Yeah, what were we discussing, again?

I hope the rumors you've heard turn out to be true... in this case, anyway. :tongue:

I sent TB half a tin of year-and-a-half-old FVF today, and, sadly, it amounted to about 6 little strips. Pitiful! When SG came out with Golden Glow and Celtic Talisman, I recall that it took forever for Smokingpipes to get it in stock. I'll keep hope alive, though, because I choose to believe this is true....

Edited to add: Yak, I just went to Smokingpipes, and damned if it isn't there at 19.57 per 250gr tin.... just goes to show what a little faith and hope can accomplish, eh? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Smoking Pipes lists the SG 250 gm. packages under "tins" for some reason. Don't know why!

I have Embarcadero aging for future use; however, I've never smoked it and didn't realize it is a flake. Thanks for the info.

I have a bunch of the PCCA & McC's PCCA blends aging. Which ones are flakes? Again, I've never smoked any of them (sad to say). :pipe: FTRPLT

JT":07674e8k said:
Yak, I just went to Smokingpipes, and damned if it isn't there at 19.57 per 250gr tin.... just goes to show what a little faith and hope can accomplish, eh? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
The "tins" are sealed plastic bags in cardboard boxes wrapped in cellaphane (sp).
I just got the 250 gr "tin" of SG Medium Va flake from smoking pipes and this was the case. I promptly transferred it to small mason jars.

Yo Brothers -- thanks for all the great info, as well as some hearty laughs! Yak -- yes, I have perused Pease's site, but it was a while back... I should probably go back and re-read some of the great info there. Thanks for reminding me.

EJinVA":5080uj9u said:
The "tins" are sealed plastic bags in cardboard boxes wrapped in cellaphane (sp). I just got the 250 gr "tin" of SG Medium Va flake from smoking pipes and this was the case. I promptly transferred it to small mason jars.

Thanks for the heads-up on the "tins," EJ.

I can't imagine the plastic bags would make a very good vessel for long-term storage, and I can't imagine why SG wouldn't put it in a durable, vacuum-sealed tin. On second thought, considering their rectangular tins and the flimsy packaging of their bulk product, I can easily believe it. You'd think a company that manufactures such an excellent product would do a better job with packaging and presentation.

On the other hand, there's nothing quite as disappointing as peeling open a finely crafted package only to find perfumed manure inside. If ya gotta have one or the other, I guess removing the product from cheap plastic packaging and jarring it right away is the way to go.

Thanks again!