Brothers Who Smoke Together

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Yesterday I was hiding out at the Tinder Box, escaping triple-digit heat, escaping my stressful plight at the moment, and in walks a shadowy figure.

"Aha! It IS Mr. Weiss!"

I did not recognize the figure. Turns out, fishnrust, generous brother and interesting fellow to talk to et al, happened to be visiting from Vegas and dropped by. We sat and smoked, talked and B.S.'ed for a couple of hours. We have hung out here before, but the surprise visit was even more cool, especially sans the planning.

Hidden, anonymous faces behind various glowing screens we are not. I look forward to randomly running into Brothers in the future, especially if I make my way to Sacramento soon! :cheers: Puff Daddy, that means you. :D Loneredtree should be coming up for a visit soon in a few weeks, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Jacquesdubois is a long-time Reno friend of mine that I'm folding in to the pipe ranks, and we hang out regularly, too, smoking, listening to Giants games on the radio, etc...

...so, I thought I'd make a thread dedicated to the personal cohesiveness of the Brotherhood, and invite you to share your good times and stories of visits with others from here on the forum--which, as it turns out, is MUCH more than a forum!

8)

Hell, it's been a while since we've have a BoB love-fest thread. :p

If you're ever in Chicago, you know who to call!

Great idea Kyle.

Though I hang out with Dreadgerbil on a semi-regular bases, only occasionally do we get together with express purpose of hanging out while smoking a pipe. It is always a good experience. Something I will miss when I move. However, what I hope I am missing is my friend Dreadgerbil, for in my new city I will meet DocWatson and Mr.Doody, two more guys who will become more than web handle.

Fishfuzz and I met at a local pub for pipes and brews. Had fun telling my bride, "out to smoke with a man I met on the internet!"

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to smoke a bowl with any of the BoB brethern yet, however when Sean68 returns stateside, he is scheduled to visit. We have a bike ride planned, as well as a visit to the Humidor Pipe Shop in Huntsville. 8)

I'd be happy to have a smoke with anyone in the philly/SJ area. I'm in SJ and as I stated in another thread, would like to start a pipe club. I have plenty of seats in a shady backyard.

any and all are welcome !

One of these day I'm gonna have to get together with GuitarMyFriend. He and I are both a little hamstrung in the transportation department. I keep threatening to make a trip to Chicago as well. Iwan Ries is walking distance for me, with a little train ride in the middle, so heads-up Jefe and Uberman!

George Kaplan":pih6yrql said:
One of these day I'm gonna have to get together with GuitarMyFriend. He and I are both a little hamstrung in the transportation department. I keep threatening to make a trip to Chicago as well. Iwan Ries is walking distance for me, with a little train ride in the middle, so heads-up Jefe and Uberman!
I definitely plan on hitting Iwan on my trip from IL to GA (even though it is slightly out of the way). We will have to make an event or something and see how many people near that area we can get to converge on Iwan Ries.

We will definitely get together soon Kyle, I'm looking forward to it.

Remember that song by George Thoroughgood titled "I Drink Alone"? That seems to be the theme song for pipe smokers, we smoke alone. Cigarette and cigar smokers seem to manage to congregate together but pipe smokers seem to be almost reclusive. Maybe it's just the small number of us. I almost never see a guy smoking a pipe, it's a rare thing. On the one hand we are the Fume Singularis, the lone hermatic torch bearer. On the other hand, it gets a little lonely being a societal recluse. About the only time I ever sit and smoke a pipe with another guy is at pipe club, which is difficult for me to attend due to family and work, or when I get together with my brother, which is only a few times a year. I guess it just comes with the territory.....

PD...yeah, you're right. I prefer the solitude myself, but once in a while it's a great thing to crawl out of the hills and have a bit of a congregation, catch up on news, practice socializing just enough so we don't start crawling up the grocery store walls when we need a pint of milk. :lol:

Had a really cool sit'n'smoke with Loneredtree at my Tinder Box yesterday. Swell guy. I was terribly late due to a debacle with work and the BLM, but he was patient, and got to see the Reno store, meet some of the crazy folks there (yours truly)...it was great!!! I got a chance to try some House of Calabash tobacco, a nice, medium-bodied light English, but I don't remember the name. :lol:

Good talking with you, Lonered, always feel welcome in the Biggest Little. 8)

George you name the time and place. I know there's a couple other pipe smokers from the Glove on here. If anyone of you find yourself in MI, stop by. There's a small cigar shop (Not too pipe friendly) near me that has an incredible cigar selection, and candle selection (if your interested... a good place to lose a woman for a quick smoke), where we can sit, puff, and chat.
Zach

It was a good get together in Reno. The Tinder Box there has a casual welcoming character. The middle Northern cost BoB needs to gather in Sacramento in the future.

Kyle wrote: House of Calabash tobacco, a nice, medium-bodied light English, but I don't remember the name.

"Avalon" An attempt to recreate "John Cotton 1 & 2 Medium.

After several bowls, I do want to write a review.

:sunny:

Avalon! Yeah that was it.

That was some smooth what some would say "...an all day smoke." It had just enough body and character to keep you interested but mellow enough to sip on casually for any length of time.

You're always welcome here, Lonered, we'll have to arrange a visit to Tobacco Road sometime, get PD involved, Drumsnbeer, whoever else is in the area. 8)

Gentlemen, what a fabulous conversation! I have been wondering if ever pipe smokers gather for good company and conversation. Kaiser83 and I managed to enjoy a few pipes together despite being on opposite shifts. But my pipe smoking exerience is limited to here in Afghanistan. I will not be a daily smoker once home, likely one or two pipes per week. To me, the smoke is an event. And an event is best shared with others.

Dutch, I expect it will be cold when I first come down to Huntsville, so we will likey make our first acquaintence at the smoke shop. Maybe a pub? Ah, the combination of a long motorcycle ride capped off with a few cold pints of ale and a smoke of the pipe... Next summer, maybe?

Yo Sean, where you been? Good to see you around again.

Well, should anyone find themselves in the DF, you're always welcome here. No donkey shows, but it's still a pretty cool place.

MisterE":ict2mu64 said:
Yo Sean, where you been? Good to see you around again.

Well, should anyone find themselves in the DF, you're always welcome here. No donkey shows, but it's still a pretty cool place.
Damn, I would love to take you up on that one of these days, E!

And of course, all of you guys know that of you're down here in San Diego I've got room for ya! Hell, I can probably accommodate five guests.. Plenty of room :)

San Diego has three really good B&M's... I'm just sayin' 8)

Sean68":nasv9z7x said:
Gentlemen, what a fabulous conversation! I have been wondering if ever pipe smokers gather for good company and conversation. Kaiser83 and I managed to enjoy a few pipes together despite being on opposite shifts. But my pipe smoking exerience is limited to here in Afghanistan. I will not be a daily smoker once home, likely one or two pipes per week. To me, the smoke is an event. And an event is best shared with others.

Dutch, I expect it will be cold when I first come down to Huntsville, so we will likey make our first acquaintence at the smoke shop. Maybe a pub? Ah, the combination of a long motorcycle ride capped off with a few cold pints of ale and a smoke of the pipe... Next summer, maybe?
Sounds like a plan brother! Did you receive your package yet? It has been a little over a week since I mailed it out.

s.ireland":j3683l4u said:
And of course, all of you guys know that of you're down here in San Diego I've got room for ya! Hell, I can probably accommodate five guests.. Plenty of room :)
Yeah, but if I was there I would have to Aro-Bomb the place. All in fun, of course! :twisted: