Brown Flake Liquorice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Brown Flake Liquorice?

I just found this little item when ordering a couple of new cobs from Mars (the Marcus...since it comes with a lucite stem, band, hardwood Plug, is a good medium size and is a Dublin shape that sits well...what’s not to like?)

Anyways I read the reviews left by both Jim and Doc and thought it sounded like a winner. I love Dark Flake Liquorice but they were out...so I’ll try this one.

Sounds like a winner to me. G&H's Brown Flake is really good. I prefer the No. 2 Flake the best but both the unscented and scented variations of the standard Brown Flake are quintessential Lakeland smokes. Looking forward to reading your take on this one.

Photo of the Marcus (took me 15 seconds to look up on google)...

Promo blurb from MM...

“The Marcus from Missouri Meerschaum is a design that we originally made for promotional purposes for a tobacco company for marketing its pipe tobacco. However, due to the new FDA regulations, the company decided to curtail its pipe tobacco business. Since we liked the design, we decided to keep it and make it available to everyone.

The Marcus has a Dublin-shaped bowl with a hardwood bottom and is stained dark for a burnished appearance. This bowl is similar to but smaller than our Mark Twain pipe, hence the name Marcus. To dress the pipe up, we placed a wide, nickel-plated band on the shank.”

Actually, the full order was for 2 MM Marcus cobs, 4 Oz of GH Brown Flake Licquorice and 2 tins of SG Lakeland Dark. That’s the biggest tobacco order I’ve done in several years.

BH, nice Cob, enjoy. I spotted it also on on eBay last night. The Lakeland Dark I'm familiar with and smoked a few bowls recently. I really enjoy it. The other I've yet to try.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

BH

Since I have Amazon Prime and many times I've found the Country Gentleman or Diplomat on the site I was able to have both shipped to my door for $20.50, a good price. Amazon is where I purchased my last Dagner poker Cob delivered for $23.00. Every once in a while you'll find a deal on Amazon. Now, because you posted a picture of the Marcus I can see up close it's a well made MM. Not like their cheaper Pride or Legend models. Next time ( sometimes in December) I will purchase a Marcus @ Smokingpipes for $9.65.
Enjoy yours for many years :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Nice Cob pipe. I have one similar to that without the band. It's called the Mark Twain, which I thought was appropriate!

The Brown Flake liquorice is good, but all I can say is, "where's the liquorice?" It's a good tasting tobacco but I just can't taste any liquorice or anise at all. I'm sure that more accustomed pallets can taste it.

BH, If you haven't tried War Horse GREEN you might like it.
It's a Licorice / Anise blend, even I find it rather good, especially after supper and I'm not an aro kinda a guy.

Blackhorse":06blht25 said:
There’s one of the War Horse bars I’ve been meaning to try. Not sure if green is the one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Your welcome sir! ;)

Corncobcon":bw7718hv said:
The Brown Flake liquorice is good, but all I can say is, "where's the liquorice?" It's a good tasting tobacco but I just can't taste any liquorice or anise at all.  I'm sure that more accustomed pallets can taste it.
agreed I bought several pounds site unsmoked. Mars may have actually special ordered them for me, they were the first to be able to get them. The tin note is strong licorice, but it really doesn't come through in the flavor. there might be stronger batches out there. it smells similar to Kendal cream flake, which doesn't have much flavor either.

Corncobcon":a9j5eztt said:

The Brown Flake liquorice is good, but all I can say is, "where's the liquorice?" It's a good tasting tobacco but I just can't taste any liquorice or anise at all.  I'm sure that more accustomed pallets can taste it.
I really like it, but no, I don't get more than a slightest hint of anise, and that not that often; it is, however, a bit sweeter than the Brown Flake Unscented

DrT999":lw1zot74 said:
Corncobcon":lw1zot74 said:

I really like it, but no, I don't get more than a slightest hint of anise, and that not that often; it is, however, a bit sweeter than the Brown Flake Unscented

As an interesting note...I picked up some of the brown Flake licorice from two different vendors, Mars and P&C. They were quite different, that from P&C having a very noticeable anise pouch aroma while the one from Mars was markedly less so. Been puffing on the bag from Mars of late - and even with that lesser Scented one I still get that subtle anise hit. I would classify it to be done in the same manner as the GH sweet twists...very light, just to take the edge off and sweeten the smoke slightly but not get in the way of the brown base flavor experience. To me this is a nuanced smoke...not in any way akin to the heavily scented Lakeland blends commonly thought of when the name Gawith comes to mind. I snagged some Brown Pigtail Licorice once upon a time and this Flake has much the same character. For those wanting a heavy licorice flavor...move along citizen, nothing of interest here. But for someone capable of appreciating a more gourmet approach...this is one to try.

Yah, I've not known GH&Co to really punch up their flavours other than Lakelands. The ropes nd such have a threat of something just so you don't gag from the strength of their super high octane flakes and ropes....

I got one of those Markus pipes as well, but I feel the need to sand out the stain from the interior of the bowl before I load and fire it up. Cute pipe though, and quite distinct from the typical MM..