Bruyere St Claude on Smokingpipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkagitSmoke

Reaction score
You may have seen that Smokingpipes.com has been selling these pipes from the early 20th century. Anyone bought one? How do they smoke? They look nice but also seem like they could end up being expensive basket pipes. They sure are selling them fast!

Looks like it's a moot point as they are ALL gone now !! :twisted: :twisted:

Been very curious about these as well. And it certainly looks like they sell out as fast as they come in.

I get the SP newsletter, and the last one had a couple dozen to pick from. Most expensive ones were like $60, then $55 IIRC. Not a huge investment for almost 100 yr old briar.

A few of the horn stemmed ones appealed to me, but the size looked too small for what I like. And then again they were all straight billiards or apples, which is clearly not my preference. They may be great smoking pipes, who knows.

Cheers,

RR

Break in has started for my Bruyer St Claude Dux Repose ( I think it translates to Deposed Duke) billiard. It arrived nicely packaged in a Smoking Pipes box and sock. My missus said "oooo, how cute," because it's only five inches long. But it's perfectly proportioned, handsome, slightly chunky, with ample wood in the walls and shank. It has nice cross grain, and the fitment between the shank and horn stem is perfect. I've read that horn bits are delicate, but this one seems fine and sturdy.The airway is a little snug, but it takes a Pete or Falcon cleaner easily with no coaxing. I found only two tiny pits and to me these are far preferable to fills. Besides it was hard to find them even under light. The drilling is perfectly centered to the bottom of the bowl. The first smoke was Prince Albert, and it went to the bottom of the bowl on the charring light. The post-smoke cleaner was barely damp at the tip. It's a splendid little pipe, and shows to no disadvantage on my "billiards" rack next to Dunhill, Charatan, Luciano, Wilke and Sav billiards. It's pretty cool smoking this little guy and imagining it's carving and nearly a century of "aging" in a St. Claude attic. Maybe I'll dedicate it to codger blends.

I've watched these as they have become available. Very easy on the wallet, and the ones with horn stems have some appeal. Also the age of the briar is a plus.  

But alas they seem all too small for me. That, and I'm really not into straight billiards. More for you guys.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the review Kevin. There was one I almost pulled the trigger on yesterday. I'm going to keep watching to see what comes up.

It's funny how quickly they sell off the Smoking Pipes site. One thing that amazes me about that site is the sheer mass and variety of pipes and associated paraphernalia, old and new, Their editorial content is also helpful. When I started, people chose between a billiard or Apple, straight or bent, more or less. But now ...