Brylon...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
I like filtered pipes and I like the shape of a square stem; so I found a Medico Apollo estate pipe at a decent price and it just arrived.

Now I know what Brylon is.

The bowl is a bit big, and the acrylic stem seems cheap but it smokes well and feels nice in the hand. The composition bowl didn't get as hot as I would have guessed, so not a bad pipe, a good kick around to leave in the car.

Briar is so much nicer, just from an aesthetic viewpoint, and it probably smokes a bit cooler in the hand, though I suspect the Brylon is cooler on the tongue.

Any opinions?

How do you find filtered pipes anyway, do I have to memorize every model and style made in the last 75 years to pick one?

Oldbear

I haven't smoked a brylon but I have a few pipes that the use of filters is optional. I use filters when I run into a blend that bites or seems harsh. It smooths things out, maybe from reduced tars. I use the natur filters filled with meerschaum chips.

OK,"find" I meant how do you pick a filtered pipe out of the drifts of old estate pipes of various makes without major historic memorization of models, styles and manufacturing history and technique.

Oldbear

Ok, well I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're going to want to hear but here it is. Pretty much every maker has offered filtered pipes at one time or another. The first ones that come to mind though are Medico, Dr. Grabow, SterlingHall, Vauen, Dr. Plumb, even higher end makers have gotten involved, like Dunhill, Savs, I seem to recall even seeing Barlings with filters. I think we need more information from you about what style pipe you prefer then we might be able to point out specific makes and models. Also keep in mind just about any pipe can be retrofitted to take the 6 or 9mm filter. Oh another popular choice for filter pipes are Brigham. They have some really nice ones but take special maple filters.

Jim

So WHY DON'T THE SELLERS SHOW THE DISASSEMBLED PIPE STEM?!!!

Grouchybear

If I had to guess I'd say its because many of the folks selling on eBay don't have any clue what they're doing. Many will even say they don't know anything about pipes. I can tell you that your best bet on getting a filter will lie with certain brands. The Medicos, Dr Grabows, and Brighams are the ones that I believe most if not all of their pipes are set up for filters. Hope this is some help.

I sell pipes sometimes, and generally speaking, unless it's something of a proprietary oddity (like Brigham pipes), I'll simply list them as 9mm or 6mm filter pipes. There's really nothing to be shown in photographs. Medico, Dr. Grabow and others use the 6mm paper-type filters but not all of 'em are filter pipes. Missouri Meerschaum cobs and some hardwood pipes are almost always 6mm filter pipes, with only a few special exceptions. Savinelli and a small handful of other Danish pipemakers use 6mm filters, but are intended for use with the triangular balsa-wood type filters. Most other European pipes are 9mm filter pipes, and you can get all sorts of filters...natural fiber, activated charcoal, unicorn horn... the Germans have a love for filter pipes, and I hear-tell it's even a law over there pipes must be sold to accept 9mm filters.

Best thing to do is find a pipe you like, and ask the seller if it is a filter pipe, or if one is available. If you're buying a pipe just because it's a filter pipe, you're in a very limited group of pipe smokers and collectors, and that's good news: not too many pipesters go out of their way to buy just filter pipes. :lol:

The only filter pipes I'll buy without hesitation are Missouri Meerschaums. They smoke ace without 'em.

8)

OB58...First, asking if there are any opinions to this opinionated bunch of miscreants is like asking if water flows over Niagara :p

Second, I despise Brylon. Had one Medico Brylon back in the '60's. Awful damn pipe. Actually threw it away!

Third...Filters. Not no, but hell no :no: I do love my cobs, but smoke'em without the filter!

Now, these are just my opinions. They work for me. If you like/enjoy a filtered pipe, have at it!! That's one of the great things about this hobby of ours. Lots of options; lots of choices. All of us make choices as to pipes, shapes, sizes, makes, brands, etc. Same with what we smoke in them. English, Ginny Weed, Burley, aros, and/or any combination thereof!!

Just one man's opinion :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":qkw0aqic said:
OB58...First, asking if there are any opinions to this opinionated bunch of miscreants is like asking if water flows over Niagara :p
Philosophical musings: Does a bull Brother sh*t opine in the pasture forum? :lol: Naturally. :heart:

8)