Bulging Tin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed one of my cellared G L Pease tins from 2003 is slightly bulging on the bottom.

Is this a bad sign, i.e. the tobacco has spoiled?

Bulging comes from fermentation... your tobacco us aging! In the short term, no problems whatsoever; in the long term, the seals on the "pop top" tins can fail. Keep your eye out for rust. To be on the safe side, jarring up your tobacco in a mason or ball jar is effective. Or just smoke it!

jefe1037":qkbepnwx said:
Bulging comes from fermentation... your tobacco us aging! In the short term, bo problems whatsoever; in the long term, the seals on the "pop top" tins can fail. Keep your eye out for rust. To be on the safe side, jarring up your tobacco in a mason or ball jar is effective. Or just smoke it!
+1 What he said.

Its no problem. I had an early tin of Phillip Moris Field and Steam that was so bulged out that it had to be stored on its side. Good things are going on in there. Now if that tin was say 3 months old and bulging then we would be having a very different conversation here. That would be some kind of spoilage to be puffy in that short a time.

Jim

A tin from 2003, I think you're golden. I have a number of GLP tobaccos from the early 2000's that are quite round. Any of the ones that I have popped open have been nicely fermented, no mold.

I agree though, any new tins from C&D that are bulging are suspect and should probably be inspected asap.

Which blend is it? It may be time to go on and pop that baby and enjoy.

A tin from 2003 that is bulging?

I really think you should get rid of it. Don't want to take any chances. I'll PM you my address and you can send it to me to inspect (you won't get it back though...)

:D :D

I agree with the others, your golden!