Bulk Dunhill?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ordered Dunhill in bulk? Its available at P&C. Bulk of other brands comes sealed from the factory. Does Dunhill come that way as well? I just ordered some but would hate for it to be packaged by P&C because there are likely to be less controls on it.
I want my tobac to come straight from the factory sealed as much as possible to get the best flavor. I would call P&C but it is after hours and they are closed until Monday. Any info would be appreciated.

Back in the 70's/80's when Murray blended Dunhill 'bacs, a few blends were sold in bulk, notably 965 and London Mixture and Nightcap as I recall. I would often buy 965 in bulk and always when the owner of the shop would get it out of the humidor where he kept it in it's big bag, I could see the Dunhill label on the bag. I don't know if Orlik does it the same way now days and with the many "like" bulk blends out there, that's a good question :p

OK I'm an idjit.

Just remembered that I got in on a group split of 965 a few years ago on another site. The offer was for a 5 # lb bulk bag with about 10 yrs age. I got a lb of this, along with 4 others.

So it does appear that Dunhill once offered this in bulk.

D'Oh!

HomerDoh.gif

Cheers,

RR

P&C sent out a newsletter about it. It's from Dunhill.

From P&C:
Sorry for the unexpected intrusion, we don't usually do e-mail specials on Fridays, but we're so excited about this announcement that we just couldn't wait until Tuesday. Some of our favorite and most popular tobacco tins we sell, Dunhill's Mixture 965 and Early Morning Pipe blends, after far too long are being re-released in bulk!. This allows you to save a bunch of dough not paying for packaging when you load up on these premium blends. We get questions from you guys and gals all the time wondering if this was going to happen, and we're happy to let you know that it is! We've got a big-time shipment currently in transit to us, and we are opening up today for pre-orders. We're expecting our shipment to arrive sometime on Tuesday, 10/2, and we'll ship all the pre-orders out on 10/2 and 10/3, so get your order in now for Dunhill Bulk Pipe Tobacco and reserve yours. Hope you all enjoy your weekend even more now that we let you know about this exciting news!

Fight'n Hampsters":kfm6lbch said:
Has anyone ever ordered Dunhill in bulk? Its available at P&C. Bulk of other brands comes sealed from the factory. Does Dunhill come that way as well? I just ordered some but would hate for it to be packaged by P&C because there are likely to be less controls on it.
I want my tobac to come straight from the factory sealed as much as possible to get the best flavor. I would call P&C but it is after hours and they are closed until Monday. Any info would be appreciated.
Sounds like it's the "real deal', but I would imagine that P&C get's it in multi# bags and re-packs it in whatever quantity you order.

monbla256":g58zbw3j said:
Fight'n Hampsters":g58zbw3j said:
Sounds like it's the "real deal', but I would imagine that P&C get's it in multi# bags and re-packs it in whatever quantity you order.
Yep, that's "bulk," by definition.

As some noted, bulk usually comes from the blend's maker in 5 pound bags. But these "new" Dunhill blends in bulk may come in metric weight bags. I'm sure P&C can tell you if call on Monday and ask.

In any case, P&C is only taking pre-orders now and AFAIK, P&C are the only ones that will have it, at least early on. That means there's a real possibility that their supply of these bulk Dunhill blends will run out quite quickly and that, at least early on, they may not be able, or willing, to fill large orders.

Looks like they have them listed all the way up to a 5 pound bag. I'd assume 5lbs is the top end of the spectrum and then into a new bag but that is just my assumption and we all know what assuming makes. If anyone calls and finds out please let us know what the deal is.

kaiser83":wg6gsgao said:
Looks like they have them listed all the way up to a 5 pound bag. I'd assume 5lbs is the top end of the spectrum and then into a new bag but that is just my assumption and we all know what assuming makes. If anyone calls and finds out please let us know what the deal is.
Lane sends Tinder Box here in Reno 5lb bags, I believe, and that's in this "bread bag" kind of packaging.

I'm pretty sure the Orlik bulk is not any kind of "absolutely sealed" container, and they just dole out whatever folks order. They could be 10 or 20 lb bags for all I know, but is someone really going to order 20 lbs of Nightcap? :lol: (I'm afraid to even ask that question...) :p

8)

No idea who "they" is, but P&C is taking pre-orders on three blends of Dunhill blends, arriving to P&C this week and to do it right now.

If anyone wants any, an ounce, a pound or whatever, it's prudent to call in an order ASAP.

I ordered half a pound, as MM965 is a favorite blend. I'm curious as to how it will compare to the tin version.

Just got an e-mail from smokingpipes.com that they now have 965 and EMP in bulk!! They have it at less than $50.00 /# :p I might have to order a few ozs. for my "stash" :p

Pre apologies for peeing on cornflakes, but Lane, the last maker of "Dunhill" bulks, didn't even come close. Who's making it now? I would want to know before I shelled out any scoots.

jpbergeron":uwkqv24v said:
Pre apologies for peeing on cornflakes, but Lane, the last maker of "Dunhill" bulks, didn't even come close. Who's making it now? I would want to know before I shelled out any scoots.
Murray made it till they were bought by Orlik and now both the tinned AND bulk is made by them. I've a freind who used to work for Lane back in the 80's and they were the DISTRIBUTORS of ALL of the Dunhill blends made by MURRAY in Ireland. Lane never made the bulk. At least thats what they said then. :p

monbla256":2q10p6vj said:
Just got an e-mail from smokingpipes.com that they now have 965 and EMP in bulk!! They have it at less than $50.00 /# :p I might have to order a few ozs. for my "stash" :p
I got the same email, and when I opened the link, they were sold out of both!

riff raff":nhcg8kb1 said:
monbla256":nhcg8kb1 said:
I just re-opened mine and they still have BOTH listed for sale in ALL qntys. You might want to give 'em a call :scratch:

It did the same thing with my link. But going to the website directly it still shows in stock.

monbla256":32u24ov4 said:
riff raff":32u24ov4 said:
monbla256":32u24ov4 said:
I just re-opened mine and they still have BOTH listed for sale in ALL qntys. You might want to give 'em a call :scratch:
I think it was my poor eyesight via my phone browser. Now I see that both are in stock. Heck, that was a few pennies less than I paid for my order from P&C.