Bulk Jar Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrAnt

Reaction score
I was wondering, since this is a new hobby for me, what eveyone thought of the bulk tobacco one would get out of the jars at a tobacconist. I had purchased some black cavendish yesterday and it wasn't bad. Are these meant for blending or enjoying straight? This was the second time I had seen a store have shelves upon shelves of this no name tobacco at about $3 an oz.

Thanks.

Depending on what the bulk is it is a matter of taste. I would say a large percentage of bulks are either Lane or Altadis under the local shops name. If you find a bulk that you like at your local shop there is no problem IMHO of getting it and putting it in jars yourself. I'm lucky in the fact that two of the local shops also stocks C&D, Charles Fairmorn's, McClelland and G&H along with the Lane and Altadis bulk blends. They basically get them in bags just like you would when ordering over the Internet then putting them in their own glass jars for display and purchase. Usually the blends they carry sell fairly quickly so I really haven't run into tobacco drying out issues. Remember the golden rule of pipe smoking; smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

P.S. I still occasionally smoke Lane 1Q (the blend I started out on almost twenty years ago) under the name Gold Duck.

That's what I smoke the majority of the time. Don't know where it came from, or who produced it originally, but all House Blends are re-done, and they're damn tasty!

Smoke 'em if ya like 'em, and don't let anyone tell ya different!

The first tobacco I ever smoked is one of those, and it's still one of my favorites. It's an aromatic sold under the name "Second Mate" at a local tobacconist. :pipe: