Burberry trench coat

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Have wanted one for years.  If I spring for one I'll want the original honest-to-God real deal with all the bells and whistles; trouble is, I don't know what that is, or even if it's still available.  Do the things have model numbers?  From their website it looks as though everything's been "modernized" :( .  I've exhausted my google capabilities to pretty much no avail, except that it appears some products are made in Britain, some in the U.S., some apparently in China.  The originals were 100% cotton gabardine; now most seem to be cotton/poly.  So; anyone have any knowledge/experience/opinions/etc?  Thanks...

I have one from the mid '70s, bought from Saks in NY. It was the real deal at the time, the one with the button-in wool lining, double-breasted, the belt with grenade loops, etc. But I can't vouch for it being the "original," as I think it's cotton/poly also. Don't know how far back you'd have to go to get the "original." Mine is in pretty good shape, but it's for someone 6'4", namely moi. A friend of mine had a trench coat from Turnbull & Asser, and that one was really heavy-duty, as I remember, more so than the Burberry. Then again, he also had a black leather one that was killer, come to think of it. Good luck in your hunt. You might try writing them, using what you just posted.

Idlefellow":ob99vglo said:
hobie1dog":ob99vglo said:
Thanks, but frankly, absolutely NOT like those!  The modernized, metrosexual model doesn't do it for me.  The leopard print model is a nice touch though (insert vomit emo).
Vomit seems the appropriate response to those. Frankly, I would get a London Fog or J.C. Penney, etc., just so I could beat hell out of it without thinking of the cost. They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also. Thought this was interesting, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20/man-guide-trench-coat/

Richard Burley":wrscg9xk said:
Idlefellow":wrscg9xk said:
hobie1dog":wrscg9xk said:
Thanks, but frankly, absolutely NOT like those!  The modernized, metrosexual model doesn't do it for me.  The leopard print model is a nice touch though (insert vomit emo).
They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also.
"One more thing."

columbo-main-pic_zpstnwy8n2q.jpg

Richard Burley":126ivzle said:
Vomit seems the appropriate response to those. Frankly, I would get a London Fog or J.C. Penney, etc., just so I could beat hell out of it without thinking of the cost. They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also. Thought this was interesting, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20/man-guide-trench-coat/
Interesting read; thanks.  Frankly I've been down the Penney's and other off brand road; in fact I have an off brand now that I actually quite like but (ahem) there seems to be more of me and less coat lately.  I took your advice and emailed Burberry; we'll see what kind of response I get.  I had already decided to pursue the "vintage" route; we'll see what turns up.

Simple Man: LOVE IT!

Amazingly I got a nice, same day reply from Burberry. They suggested the Heritage Westminster which is 100% cotton gabardine and made in England, it being the longest length they currently make, and it seems to have the military details one would want. It's slightly south of two grand, however, and while it may be worth every penny I don't think I want to invest that much. So, I guess it's the thrift store route for me. The hunt's half the fun anyway, eh?

My wife and I do vintage clothing, so if I come across one, you'll be the first to know.

Great stuff skaukatt! Well, that didn't take long! Checked the bay; there were quite a few listed. Found one in my size with the features I wanted, made a buy-it-now offer I didn't think they'd accept. They did; it'll be here Wednesday. With hopefully just enough pre-love to make it really cool...

Idlefellow":w27sg79r said:
Great stuff skaukatt!  Well, that didn't take long!  Checked the bay; there were quite a few listed.  Found one in my size with the features I wanted, made a buy-it-now offer I didn't think they'd accept.  They did; it'll be here Wednesday.  With hopefully just enough pre-love to make it really cool...
Now you need to get a nice Akubra hat to go with it !! :twisted:

Idlefellow":mvq4kfnp said:
It's brown and it's a no-name from Dillards :oops: !
If it's not a fur felt but a wool felt hat DON'T wear it in the rain with your Burburry's as it will not stand up to the rain as your coat will. !! Only a 100% Fur Felt hat will withstand the elements ant retain it's shape !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yep, 'tis wool felt, although stamped "water resistant".  I love my Stetson Gun Cub too much to wear it in the rain;

hats002_zps366840af.jpg

guess it'll have to be the Tilley...

hats003_zps24070a36.jpg

On a sad note, very disappointed in the Burberry; not the model I was expecting and some different from the description; I'm negotiating now to return it.

Definitely the Tilley but I wouldn't worry about the Gun Club if it's ALL fur felt ( and remember, the only 100% Beaver felt hats made today are usually custom jobs costing around $1000.00 or so ) which are usually rabbit fur. The Akubra Bushman in my avatar is now around 15 years old , first one went 35 years, and has been worn in ALL kinds of weather !!

Not sure about the Gun Club; I'll have to do a bit of research.  But I sure didn't pay that kind of money for it when I got it 10 years or so ago.  Back in my cowboy days I had a Stetson Silver Belly 4X beaver, 6" pencil roll brim with a Tom Mix crease.  Great hat but I just didn't wear it any more so it went down the road. That Akubra is great looking by the way.