Burley - Way Over-Rated

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there John! How's it goin'. Yes grasshopper...I am calm. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Heh, heh.

It's another benefit of smoking Burley blends...I am at peace with the world, knowing I smoke the best. Well, that and it really didn't seem like the lad was dissn' the good stuff...just that he didn't 'get it'. So I kinda felt sorry for him, what with his lack of understanding and all. It's like steps in the progress of the pipe smoker. You start with aromatics (most likely), go through all that other stuff, and finally end up at the zenith, smoking Burley blends. But it takes hard work...and, um, dedication! And I didn't even WANT to bring up that stuff. But you made me do it! lol

(really guys, we're just havin' fun here) :roll:

JP: Still lookin' forward to those other blends of yours that are due...when? Should be pretty soon now, right?

Yeah, I know he wasn't so much bashing Burley as wondering about it. As for my own blends, I need to check on that this week. It should be fairly soon, i'd think, but I don't know how soon.

Burley's are a great old fashioned tobacco that, to my mind, harken back to a simpler and more genteel time. Whether for a change of pace or an all day straight forward honest smoke burleys will always maintain their rightful place in the pantheon of great tobaccos. I agree with some of the earlier posts re: Uhles and Peretti and I'd also like to add Pipeworks Wilke's Nut Brown Burley as an excellent example of this great American weed.

OK...so long as we're naming names...you got yer Uhles and Wilkes (also try their Churchill, btw), then there's the Boswells and the Perettis too. All do a good to excellent job, as does perhaps the blenders that offer the largest number of blends, Cornell & Diehl. But the real King, the one that has arguably the crowning achievement, that's John Patton. Try his 'Stormfront' and you'll see what I mean.

Blackhorse":7nhisy1e said:
OK...so long as we're naming names...you got yer Uhles and Wilkes (also try their Churchill, btw), then there's the Boswells and the Perettis too. All do a good to excellent job, as does perhaps the blenders that offer the largest number of blends, Cornell & Diehl. But the real King, the one that has arguably the crowning achievement, that's John Patton. Try his 'Stormfront' and you'll see what I mean.
Mr Horse knows where of he speaks!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Burlies are full bodied, and in some iterations, can be strong. C&D has the best pure burley to my taste. Uhle's and Peretti's both put out what they call a pure burley, but in fact both are cased. The OTC's usually are burley/va blends cased and PG laden.

Seems like we have at least one of these type of threads every week where someone asks about this and that or statements about this and that being garbage and how someone could smoke it. I like to hike a lot and one of the sayings is "Hike your own hike." In short as long as you're not bothering anyone, you do what you want to do and let others do what they want to do. Want to carry a 60 pound pack go for it, want to carry a 10 pound pack go for it, if you're carrying a 10 pound pack and meet a guy carrying a 60 pound pack it's none of your concern to tell them they're doing something wrong. Pretty much the same with tobacco. Who cares if you smoke the most expensive vintage blend you can find or that your idea of vintage is the lowest quality aromatic that you found stuck behind the seat of a 65 chevy that's been sitting in a field for 15 years.

Some people like Pepsi some like Coke, they're both cola so who cares? Smoke pine needles for all I care. :)

ZeroContent":3f78z3u0 said:
Seems like we have at least one of these type of threads every week where someone asks about this and that or statements about this and that being garbage and how someone could smoke it. I like to hike a lot and one of the sayings is "Hike your own hike." In short as long as you're not bothering anyone, you do what you want to do and let others do what they want to do. Want to carry a 60 pound pack go for it, want to carry a 10 pound pack go for it, if you're carrying a 10 pound pack and meet a guy carrying a 60 pound pack it's none of your concern to tell them they're doing something wrong. Pretty much the same with tobacco. Who cares if you smoke the most expensive vintage blend you can find or that your idea of vintage is the lowest quality aromatic that you found stuck behind the seat of a 65 chevy that's been sitting in a field for 15 years.

Some people like Pepsi some like Coke, they're both cola so who cares? Smoke pine needles for all I care. :)
You've got in in one mate!

:twisted:

Cheers,

RR

Just make sure to dry those pine needles or they won't burn decently at all. Good post.

I grabbed two bowlsful of Boswells "Premium Burley" and smoke a bowl last night. To that point, I had not yet smoked a burley blend in my new pipe experience. Wow, the way it smoked blew me away. Maybe I'm just a rookie and will develop more discriminating tastes, but I sure hope not. The downside is I only had about a 1/4 oz sample........back to Boswell's. Damn you Burley! I will try to seek out some of the other Burley's mentioned here.

Blackhorse":6h569kze said:
Well, doncha just hafta feel sorry for the poor sod? I can understand the different tastes and all, we've all been there and maybe back as well. It's really not about different tastes at all now is it? He asks outright...'what's all the fuss about'...and as that's the case it's about understanding. What can I say? If there's a lack of understanding there's really not a lot we can do to help. Sorry. ;)
I Agree 100% G'Day Gent's

I used up my meager sample of Boswell's Burley blend on Saturday and have been Jones-in ever since. I stopped by today and picked up a nice full bag, which should do me for a while. I just finished two bowls on the patio after mowing the lawn/dinner. Very nice. Interestingly, while at Boswell's a young man from Illinois was there picking out some pipes for himself and his brother.

I've tried to like burley and have been moderately successful. I've always smoked University and MB Navy Flakes, and Peretti Somerset Flake is fantastic; but the Peretti (DD) and Uhle's blends (300) that others think are sublime do little for me; ditto Solani ABF and the C&D numbered Burley Flake that I tried.

Some things you like the first time try them and others are an acquired taste; I'm still acquiring.

I am primarily a Lat blend smoker, but I do like Burleys and straight Va's as well.

As far as Burley being a fad, well that is just ridiculous. There is nothing so American as smoking Burley. It's one of our traditions, and the great drug store blends that are still around are still around for a reason, not to mention all the great blends of yesteryear that C&D has recreated.

The thing about Burley is the delightful nutty body it has, yes, but more importantly that it is consistent from match to heel. Always. A reliable friend. A constant of tradition, trust and comfort in an inconstant world.

I didn't get Burley at first. Thought it was boring. Kept at it, and eventually I accepted Burley on its own merits. I like it better than Va's, and when I'm not smoking a Lat blend it's almost always Burley in the bowl. The odd morning smoke (I'm a night smoker) is always Burley, without deviation.

So Burley a fad...too bad Mr. Runowski isn't still around to add his thoughts to that one. That's ok, just means more for me and the brothers here of like mind.

cakeanddottle":7iubx7sz said:
I am primarily a Lat blend smoker, but I do like Burleys and straight Va's as well.

As far as Burley being a fad, well that is just ridiculous. There is nothing so American as smoking Burley. It's one of our traditions, and the great drug store blends that are still around are still around for a reason, not to mention all the great blends of yesteryear that C&D has recreated.

The thing about Burley is the delightful nutty body it has, yes, but more importantly that it is consistent from match to heel. Always. A reliable friend. A constant of tradition, trust and comfort in an inconstant world.

I didn't get Burley at first. Thought it was boring. Kept at it, and eventually I accepted Burley on its own merits. I like it better than Va's, and when I'm not smoking a Lat blend it's almost always Burley in the bowl. The odd morning smoke (I'm a night smoker) is always Burley, without deviation.

So Burley a fad...too bad Mr. Runowski isn't still around to add his thoughts to that one. That's ok, just means more for me and the brothers here of like mind.
Hear, hear!

riff raff":kp1sq16a said:
I used up my meager sample of Boswell's Burley blend on Saturday and have been Jones-in ever since. I stopped by today and picked up a nice full bag, which should do me for a while. I just finished two bowls on the patio after mowing the lawn/dinner. Very nice. Interestingly, while at Boswell's a young man from Illinois was there picking out some pipes for himself and his brother.

Yea, Boswells Burley is good stuff.

I can't say that there's a single type of leaf I don't like. VA, Burley, Perique, oriental, cigar, cavendish tobacco, latakia, and many or the aromatics. It just depends on how it's processed/blended (ive had good and bad burleys), and my mood!

I don't care for deer tongue but then that's not tobacco, nor some of the flavored or scented baccys that are common with SG or G&H.

Just a question on Burley's in general. My question pertains to aging of Burley's. The only burley i have tried is Boswells Premium Burley but i think it is great . I wanted to buy it in some bulk and try and jar some of it. Was wondering if burley in general ages like virginia's? I know my knowlege of baccy is primative but hey you gotta learn somewhere