Burly

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Me and Burly just don't seem to get along.

I just finished a bowl of C&D Haunted Bookshop and Virginia Gentleman both in cobs and couldn't really tell the difference between them and both bit me. They also seemed to burn a little hot and didn't taste all that good. I keep hearing about the natural sweetness of Virginia and really want to experience it, so far no luck.

By the way both these tobaccos had a little age on them. HB has been sealed in a jar since 11-10-08 and VG 11-18-08.

Help?

Burly and I don't get along either.
No matter how dry the tabac is, no matter how I pack it, no matter how slow I smoke it, I still get wicked tongue bite.

Burly and I don't get along so well either. It's not "tounge bite", It's "mouth on fire" for me. I'm much better off with a good ol Virginia flake.
Aaron, Have you tried Sam Gawith FVF?
PM me for a sample if you havent.

I'm afraid I can't help. I smoke Burleys regularly and have never experienced tongue bite with any of the ones I've tried.

Aaron":19sq84ua said:

.... I keep hearing about the natural sweetness of Virginia and really want to experience it, so far no luck.
You aren't confusing Burley and Virginia tobaccos are you? If I can over simplify, Burley is characterized by cooler smoke and nutty flavors, while Virginias are characterized more by natural sweetness and hotter burn.

A simple, easy way to understand burley is just to buy a pouch of Prince Albert. Yes, there are more complex, better burlies with less PG. Still, Prince Albert is cheap, widely available, and will demonstrate what easy-burning, straight burley tastes like.

As for sweet Virginia tobacco, you've got lots of options. Try some McClelland 5100 (aka Red Cake). That's a real nice, easy smoking, flavorful and quite sweet Virginia. Pack on the light side and smoke slowly.

If you try many different burlies and decide they aren't for you, well, then hey - they aren't for you (at least not at this point). There's a lot of great tobacco out there in every style and type.

-Andrew

Let me clarify. A year ago I purchased a c&d sampler from smokingpipes it was the Virginia one. However I've noticed that most of them have a hefty amount of burly in them. My post was probably convoluted because that's how I think. It made sense to me. :lol:

Aaron:

My suggestions on Burley would be to try to drink Coffee, or black tea, or Aquafina water with it. if that doesn't help, try Fiji Water. A popular theory about Burley and bite is that it is a matter of the high pH of the Burley and your body chemistry not getting along.

As to the natural sweetness of Virginia, yes, it's true. In English blends they are the "sweet part". On their own, they can indeed burn hot, so I would advise trying a Virginia flake, and not rubbing it. Load it in a pipe vertically, stacked together (not too tight as it will expand some as it burns), and after you get a bit of a char on top, tamp it lightly flat, and then sip on it slowly, relying on lots of relights. Resist the urge to make it billow up big plumes of smoke, keep it just smoldering. Union Square by GL Pease I think is the best blend to try. Its pure Virginia. In fact, the whole series that Union Square is part of is a variation on the theme of Virginia Tobacco. When I think of Burley, and Virginia GL Pease "Haddo's Delight" is the #1 answer. Give it a try. I think its wonderful in a Churchwarden. It's not a flake.

There is a Burley Virginia Flake by Esoterica called "Stonehaven". It is very hard to find these days, but has quite a following.

McClelland also makes lots of very nice Virginia flakes. If you can't get into the flake thing, try the McClelland bulk blend "5100". Its a very, simple, sweet Virginia in a rubbed form.

After years of trying to smoke/enjoy any burley blend ( I worked in a pipe shop...I tried'em all!!), I finally discovered I had an "English tongue." I was stationed in Tucson, AZ. Visited a really fine tobacco shop on Campbell Ave. (I think!). Nice lady there let me sample a few blends she recommended. After about an hour, she announced that I had an "English tongue!!" Since then, no burley for me. Oh, I can tolerate a small amount contained in some English blends; but only if the other tobacs mask it very well. Just can't do CH, PA, etc. FTRPLT

ftrplt":7369t3ja said:
Oh, I can tolerate a small amount contained in some English blends; but only if the other tobacs mask it very well. Just can't do CH, PA, etc. FTRPLT
You're just weird Byron! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Aaron":up59c52r said:

... snip ...

Help?
I'm just about the exact opposite, but I think the answer is the same for both of us. We should just stick to the blends we enjoy and avoid the ones that bite.

I've given up straight VA's for the most part. The taste is nice and sweet right up until my tongue begins to smoulder. They just don't work for me. A blend that is mostly VA might be kind to me, but straight VA is not my friend.

Burley is my friend, he never bites. Some burley's don't taste good to me, but that's a whole different thing.

I'd like to be able to cultivate an appriciation for all kinds of tobacco, but there are too many blends to try to waste time with blends that bite.

In my case, most Virginia's burn the heck out of me. I often enjoy a straight-up burley, and the principal ingredient in my all-day-smoke is burley. If treated right, burley will not bite me.

Of course, we all have different tastes. My uncle smokes an aromatic that (to me) tastes like I'm smoking a steamy blend of chemicals and old rags...but he likes it. When I give him some of my all-day smoke, he says it sets his toungue on fire. Go figure...

I usually smoke straight VA' and straight Burleys. The VA/Burley mixtures tend to be a bit testy for me at times. Try different smoking techniques or packing methods. Also, a warm tea (if you like tea) will help soothe the tongue (IMO)

Try some Five Brothers. You'll be so toasted, you won't feel the bite.

Justpipes":th5usr1a said:
ftrplt":th5usr1a said:
Oh, I can tolerate a small amount contained in some English blends; but only if the other tobacs mask it very well. Just can't do CH, PA, etc. FTRPLT
I'm weird?!?!? This coming from an avowed WALNUT nut!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: Merry Christmas, Mark!!!!!!!!!!! Byron

Frankly, have become a convet to OTC's since discovering smokes lke PA & CH a few months ago. Going to try SWR soon. In 3 decades of smoking primarily non-OTC's have yet to find burly that smoked smoother and more bite-free than PA or CH. earl

ftrplt":9ubvuwkp said:
Justpipes":9ubvuwkp said:
ftrplt":9ubvuwkp said:
I'm weird?!?!? This coming from an avowed WALNUT nut!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: Merry Christmas, Mark!!!!!!!!!!! Byron
You got me on that one Fighter Pilot but I sticking with it! Though recently I've been smoking a fair amount of Carter Hall and man is that stuff good!

:D

Yeah, it's good. In fact, if I had to stick with 1 baccy, it would be Carter Hall. Never actually tried Walnut. Now that I've overcome some residual snobbery about OTC's, I'd consider trying it but don't like the tiniest particle of latakia in my tobaccos. earl