Bushcraft saws

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I’ve recently been researching bushcraft saws. I’ve always just used a bow saw, but apparently folding saws have come a long way. And lately I’ve been wanting something more compact. I try to keep to the three (main) tool rule. So, I settled into a TBS boar for a knife, which I’ve come to love. I went with DC4 and firesteel model. A Husqvarna carpenters axe, or forest, depending on the day. Which are great axes for the money, with a little spit and polish. I can’t make sense of the saws though. The varying lengths and claims made to metal superiority are confusing. Any thoughts?

Thanks buddy. As I’ve been looking around, I’ve noticed it’s a pretty large field to research. I’ll go check that out.

I have honestly never used a bushcraft saw. I just carry a old limb saw a neighbor gave me when I was in high school.

I’ve seen those folding saws in bass pro and academy sports. But never really thought much about them. A couple weeks ago when cleaning up the Boy Scouts equipment trailer, I only seen hatchets, an axe and a couple limb saws. So I’m really interested in what you find out about them. It might be something I can introduce to the scouts/trail life boys on our next long camp out.

A couple things that make the new saws so much better than of old is the tooth design...much improved and many cut both directions. That, plus the sharpening of the teeth is done with great care...they’re like a fine knife blade re sharpness. Especially the Japanese made saws. Better steel too.

I have one of those big Silky saws with the yellow handle.  It’s the Silky Professional Series BIGBOY 2000 Folding Landscaping Hand Saw Extra Large Teeth 356-36. It’s currently about $45.  I researched like crazy before I bought it on Amazon and it’s the top rated series nearly everywhere.  It is AGGRESSIVE and will cruise through most anything super quickly.  Good for backpack carry.

The other one I bought is the Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw, 7-1/2 -Inch Blade, 7 TPI.  A little over $20 and very very good, smaller than the Silky, it hangs on my belt very easily.

As I said, I have both these and strongly recommend them.

The silky saws do appear to be high up the chain for quality and longevity. I’ve been watching some video reviews on them. Most folks say either silky or bahco saws are best

Blackhorse":476rreyk said:
Jevverrett":476rreyk said:
The silky saws do appear to be high up the chain for quality and longevity. I’ve been watching some video reviews on them. Most folks say either silky or bahco saws are best

Most folks are right.  :lol:
I’ve been told for years that I’m not right at all! :lol!:

In my experience, a saw is key. Much easier to process dead standing firewood if you keep it flat. I’m not much for batoning anything thicker than my thumb, that’s why there are hatchets. But, my bowsaw has a 24 inch blade. It’s a bit bulky for hiking about with. I got the hydraulic lines on my work truck hung up in a downed tree once. The guy they sent to help had a small folding saw on him and got me out lickity split. I’ve been interested in them ever since.