Butt Kicking Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDAVE

Reaction score
Being new to pipes my tobacco rotation is limited, but I'm ready to expand it. Right now it includes Sam Gawith Squadron Leader, Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, McClelland Club Blend - Old Dog and Wilke No. 515. I'm ready for some high nic, full flavor, knock me on my butt tobaccy. Any ideas or recommendations? I want something easy to get.

I just saw that smokingpipes.com has GH Happy Brown Bogie, the middle-sized version of their classic higher-gauge Brown Irish X, and the most tasty of the three (the smallest the Brown Pigtail) by those who savor such extra-strong fare. If you start to feel nauseous, it's really better to put the pipe down right away or you'll end up with your head inside the porcelain goddess.

Any of the ropes should do it. GH Kendal Kentucky is a butt kicker too.

Gawith Brown Rope will do it for me. Smoke it s-l-o-w-l-y in a small bowl or you'll experience the shakes, sweats, clammy feeling, shortness of breath, followed by a rush to Mr. potty stool!

:affraid:

Cheers,

RR

SG's ropes, should be the identical article compared to GH's, but then again you never know what you'll get buying their products. They use whatever they have on hand, at times, rather than ingredients that would allow them to duplicate a blend. I've smoked some of their Brown Rope #4 that had no strength.

Although I gave you a recommend for GH Happy Brown Bogie, this is the strongest of the strong, and thinking about it, it might make more sense for you not to start with a 10 but rather a 5 or 7, Peterson University Flake and Irish Flake, respectively. With either you will definitely find higher nicotine. If you find that you like that, then go stronger.

Other 10s:

GH Kendal KY, Dark Birdseye, Dark Flake
SG 1792

When you get into ultra-strong nicotine, you make a trade-off for taste. So the SG Skiff that you like has a significantly more taste than the big-hitters.

Hope this is helpful. Also, when you're going to smoke one of these blends, eat first, not just a snack but something that will fill your stomach, your guiding light when your system gets hit with a boatload of nicotine.

One thing to keep in mind....what kicks others asses may not bother you in the least. Some of the reviews claimed such high strength in some blends that I was leery of trying them. I've since smoked them all and found nothing out there that bothers me. Black Irish XX, Brown Irish XX, Irish Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Dark Flake Scented, Bracken Flake, Condor, Tambolaka...it's all good and none of it phases me...and yes, I do inhale much of the time...but it might knock you for a loop. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't and be happy if it does. You have been given excellent recommendations for tobacco along the lines that you specified. IF you inhale a good hit of Tambo it will make the hairs on the back of your head stand up...not because its strong...it's harsh.

WC's take on HO tobacco is decidedly different than 99% of those who smoke them, IMHO. Although he may be correct in saying that he isn't affected by whallops of nicotine, I've never heard that view reflected by anyone else. Apparently he is immune to it, and even inhales without coughing up his lungs. WOW, I am impressed.

No disrespect intended; but he's definitely in the minority.

Also, don't try black rope. It's brown rope that's been cooked with olive oil and has a decidedly machine oil taste. Its other tastes are fine, however.

The only one of those mentioned that I have smoked is Brown Bogie. I really like it, but for me the high nicotine is a drawback. I think its a great tobacco but I have to enjoy it in moderation because it really knocks me for a loop. But then, I don't inhale and I have never smoked cigarettes.

I'll second the Best Brown Bogie and what brewdude says; 5 brothers. 5 brothers is easy to smoke and packs a good nic buzz. And it tastes pretty darned good...by itself.

I'd second a lot of the advice; try Peterson's Irish Flake and then move on to the ropes, it'll put hair on your chest.

Tim_Haggerty":q6b9zst3 said:
I'd second a lot of the advice; try Peterson's Irish Flake and then move on to the ropes, it'll put hair on your chest.
What he said.

alfredo_buscatti":vjlb2nh3 said:
WC's take on HO tobacco is decidedly different than 99% of those who smoke them, IMHO. Although he may be correct in saying that he isn't affected by whallops of nicotine, I've never heard that view reflected in by anyone else. Apparently he is immune to it, and even inhales without coughing up his lungs. WOW, I am impressed.

No disrespect intended; but he's definitely in the minority.

Also, don't try black rope. It's brown rope that's been cooked with olive oil and has a decidedly machine oil taste. Its other tastes are fine, however.
Who or what is HO?

Since I don't know 99% of the people who smoke the good strong stuff I can't speak for them and I don't know what they say about it. I can only speak for myself.

I recall saying it doesn't bother me and that it doesn't phase me. Is that the same thing as saying it doesn't affect me? I sure as hell hope it affects me. Why would I smoke it if it didn't affect me? It doesn't BOTHER me. It doesn't PHASE me. It doesn't PUKE me. It doesn't SHIVER or SHAKE, QUIVER or QUAKE me. It doesn't send me running home to mama. It almost satisfies me. Almost.

I'm not immune to nicotine. I just smoke a lot and have since I was 16...I'm 60 now and smoking more than ever. I'm used to it...and I should be after 45 years.
I meant what I said...and I said what I meant. Forty five years of smoking strong tobacco. It's that simple. It's no big deal.

Coughing lungs up? You are kidding, right? Sometimes If I have a cold or sore throat I'll cough when I inhale and have to back off for a day or two and inhale smaller puffs. I hate it when that happens.

David, get yourself a tin of Peterson Irish Flake. It will give you a decent idea of a fairly strong smoke that also tastes pretty good. You might not like those glorious traditional British flavorings that we who love them so fondly refer to as "lakelands" IE...Condor, Bracken Flake, Dark Flake Scented, 1792 etc...soapy, floral...whatever. It's good stuff but give yourself a chance to wet your feet before jumping into the deep end. Wade first. Irish Flake, Dark Flake Unscented or Dark Birds Eye (oh yeah! love that taste).

For something on the milder side go with University Flake, Best Brown Flake, Brown Flake Unscented, Rum Flake or even Full Virginia Flake if you can find any before the hoarders bogard it all. Bullseye Flake or Luxury Navy Flake are a couple more of the milder tobaccos out there. Most of the so called reviews rate them as medium. More like mild to me and to many others. If I didn't like the taste of them I'd not bother with them at all.

Most of the tobaccos I've seen rated as strong are medium at best. Don't be afraid to try something rated as strong. It probably isn't BUT it could be. There's always hope and since you want something strong......

Whatever you decide you like is what you should smoke. Period. What anyone else likes shouldn't amount to a hill of beans to you.

You don't say what type of tobacco you prefer. For relatively pure burley, I would go with some of the C&D offerings, ie, Big N Burley and the burley flakes. I like HOTW for a good Va. Burley/Va blends Dark Birdseye, and Kendal Kentucky ,high strength, high nic blends. My opinion, Kendal Kentucky makes 5 Bros seem like distant, wimpish kinfolk.

Minority or not, black rope is delicious and unique - great straight (on a full stomach) or used sparingly to spice up a blend.

Pipes and Cigars has 2 oz. tins of C&D's Bow-Legged Bear, a tobacco that seems pretty strong to me. It comes in a crumble cake and is pretty heavy on the Latakia. I don't smoke it as much as I used to but keep 8 oz. here and have a bowl from time to time. My tastes these days run to lighter Latakia blends.

Smokey

I smoked a bowl of GH Dark Plug last night and was very pleasantly rewarded by a smooth, complex flavor. IMHO other than Dark Birdseye it is the most complex of all the high-nicotine blends. Yes, Kendal KY is full-flavored, but it is not complex. Dark Flake has a wonderfully dark, rich flavor, but it is also not complex. 1792 is but a tonquin bean overload. The brown ropes have a unique earthiness and may be complex.

It is wonderful to smoke a high-nicotine blend that is complex, steering away from the flavor-depleted/strength-enhanced profile of many HO (high-octane) blends.

To my knowledge Mars is the only tobacco purveyor that can get it. If you look at the GH offerings on his site you will see that he has an entry for it. But he can only get it occasionally even though he has a standing order for it.

Sam Gawith's 'Commonwealth Mixture', a strong Latakia, or Condor 'Long Cut', an OTC available from many newsagents and supermarket tobacco counters over here, but I've no idea if it's available in the States. Welcome to the pipe-smoking fold, btw.