BUTZ CHOQUIN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oystermouth

Reaction score
Hi are there any BC experts out there? I've just got hold of a very interesting bowl and I need some advice on it No idea how you post a picture so if anyone who does can give me an email address I can send it to them.

Yeah, about that...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t3090-how-to-post-pictures-in-the-forum

8)

I'll give that a go. Is there any chance of switching to a more user friendly method of posting images? Another board I belong to you simply click add image, pull it off the desktop and you're good to go.

Oystermouth":hnp8p04d said:
I'll give that a go. Is there any chance of switching to a more user friendly method of posting images? Another board I belong to you simply click add image, pull it off the desktop and you're good to go.
You need a certain number of posts before you can post pics. I think it's 15 or 30, can't remember.

Here we go! Can anyone help identifying this pipe?

choq.jpg

choq2.jpg

choq4.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

Cant help ID it but it is really nice. I am a big fan of collecting and smoking antique pipes,

The catch on the lid look as if is is some form of the star and cresent symbol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_and_crescent

put a mid length decorative churchwarden stem on that it would be sharp. Very nice find indeed. :cheers:

If my eyes/sight do not cheat me, the wording is: CHOQUIN METZ. Keeping this in mind I believe that this pipe was manufactured by Choquin in the town of Metz where the company/brand was founded. It was later that the brand/firma moved to St Claude.
According to what we read at site of Butz Choquin:
http://www.butzchoquin.com/affichageUK.html
Their first pipe was manufactured in Metz in 1858. The shape of the bowl presented here reminds me the shape and proportions of this first pipe as we see it at the link enclosed above.

Here I may imagine two options: the first one - the pipe/bowl presented by our Brother dates to '60-'80 of the XIXth century and was manufactured in Metz by Choquin. The second option - that the company Butz Choquin decided to make a "remake" much latter to commemorate some important occasion.

We know how important in dating silver or objects fitted with elements of silver are markings on silver/hallmarkings, etc. The material that we see at the pictures looks for me like silver, but I do not see any markings on silver. But I remember, that the hallmarking systems were different in different countries. In countries like Great Britain the so called obligatory hallmarking system forced by law the makers to have every single piece or even fittings/elements made of silver to be hallmarked by proper assay office. In other countries like France or even Germany (Metz was French until 1871, later it was German) the hallmarking systems were different so it is a chance, that the piece or element made of silver was legally NOT stamped. But I would conduct thorough investigation with use of magnifying glass of these silver like looking fittings in search for any stamps…