Buying a new pipe lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new pipe lighter for under $100.00, what do you pipers
suggest? I have several Xikar torch lighters for my cigars and those work great. Plus, Xikar has a great warranty. I don't know about their pipe lighters. I have a couple of
cheap lighters, but I am tired of them not lighting properly. Sometimes they don't light at all and I resort to matches! I know a lot of you use matches, but I don't like to use them. The other problem I have is with arthritis. Some days I can't even push down the plunger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I really like my Peterson lighter. It's a traditional soft Flame pipe lighter with a Flint wheel for spark, can be had for under $100 on sale.

Peterson lighter

Old thread on the Old Boy vs the Tsubota Pearl Eddie.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t16617-new-lighter-tsubota-pearl-eddie

I researched like crazy and finally bought the Pearl Eddie...in polished chrome...hand made in Japan. It has always worked perfectly. I got mine for under your price point but it’s twice that in some places now. Ouch.

I'm partial to both my trusty Zippo with the pipe insert, as well as the cheapazz IMCO butane. It even takes Ronson fuel without issues. Not fancy or expensive. Served me well for years.

Cheers,

RR

Japanese made Kiribi Kabuto's are $80.00 at smokingpipes.com. Great lighter. Mine has been put through hell over the last 2 years and it still lights perfectly.

Good idea to also suggest the cheap options. My favorite is the famous CLIPPER lighter. They come in multipacks on Amazon for about a buck each. You buy them filled with butane and they are refillable. The flints are also refill friendly...taking standard zippo flints. They work perfectly every time. The bottom can be used as a Tamper in the right diameter bowl. Better than sliced bread.

Examples below...they come in ALL kinds of colors and patterns.

Blackhorse":jqmf9wkl said:
Good idea to also suggest the cheap options. My favorite is the famous CLIPPER lighter. They come in multipacks on Amazon for about a buck each. You buy them filled with butane and they are refillable. The flints are also refill friendly...taking standard zippo flints. They work perfectly every time. The bottom can be used as a Tamper in the right diameter bowl. Better than sliced bread.

Examples below...they come in ALL kinds of colors and patterns.

I took Blackhorse's suggestion and bought a half dozen of these cheapies and I have to say, I am quite happy with them. Even though I won a couple of Zippos, I have never used a lighter as matches have always been my preference. However, ever since I bought these I find myself reaching for them more than I reach for my matches. Definitely not for everyone, I am sure, but for me they are pretty okay.

These clipper lighters look awesome. I just ordered a six pack with tubes at the end (seems better for reaching into the bowl on relights) I got these for when I smoke on a walk, if they'll double as a lighter and a tamp. At home I have an old boy and kiribi. They are both awesome.