Buying my first "nice" pipe...need advice!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Tex

Reaction score
I have an economy/beginner Savinelli that I bought as my first pipe. It is absolutely wonderful and I love it. That said...I got bit by the bug pretty badly and now I am wanting a classier, prettier piece. I am very much attracted to Peterson 999s, but folks on another board I frequent brought to my attention the fact that Petersons often have issues with alignment between the stem and draft holes. To me, this is not something I should be hassling with in a pipe of that price range.

So assuming I want to go a step up in quality (+-$120 or so), what other brands should I be looking at?

Save a little more scratch and commission an artisan pipe. You can request whatever features you want and you will have the knowledge that you have a one of a kind pipe made specifically for you.

I wouldn't say Peterson "often" have issues with alignment, no more than any other brand in that price range, anyway. So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, or as Puff Daddy suggested, Stanwell. Another brand I've been pleasantly surprised with is Sebastien Beo pipes from Smokingpipes.com.

But, not much more value can be found in a pipe than that of an nice, clean estate...

If you can get to a B&M to look their pipes over you're miles ahead of the game compared to ordering online.

You can check the drilling, fit and finish and pick a pipe that you're happy with.

Stanwell is a good choice in the "Most bang for your buck" category. You might be hard pressed to commission a pipe for around $120, but stranger things have happened.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with Rusty Mouse on this one - go the estate route.

Big_Tex":f1foruol said:
I have an economy/beginner Savinelli that I bought as my first pipe. It is absolutely wonderful and I love it. That said...I got bit by the bug pretty badly and now I am wanting a classier, prettier piece. I am very much attracted to Peterson 999s, but folks on another board I frequent brought to my attention the fact that Petersons often have issues with alignment between the stem and draft holes. To me, this is not something I should be hassling with in a pipe of that price range.

So assuming I want to go a step up in quality (+-$120 or so), what other brands should I be looking at?
You are already smoking one of the better currently made production pipe brands available on the market today so why switch? Savinelli makes pipes at OVER $1,000.00 as well as those in the $120.00+ range. Try an Autograph or Guibleo de Oro, or a Punto Oro, or Non Pareil or Erica Fiama for some of their high grades. ALL of these are in the $120.00+ range and are VERY NICE pipes for sure! As far as Peterson, they also make many ranges in that price range and are NICE,NICE pipes. The Rosslare Royal Irish, Grafton and Royal Irish as well as the House pipes are some of theirs that readily come to mind. Then there is always Dunhill who STILL make an excelent pipe though they are priced a bit OVER what you have stated.
Then their always is the High Grade Estate market :evil: :twisted:
Do some more research, there are pipes to fit EVERONES needs out there :twisted:

Mark Tinsky's pipes start at $150.00 for the catalog shapes.

Great pipes well worth the price IMHO.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I would save more for an artisan custom job...but now that I think about it, I guess for now $120 or so is really as much as I would want to spend on any pipe, even if I could spend more.

monbla256: You make a good point. I love my Savinelli...so why not buy another?

Rusty Mouse: Also food for thought. I don't suppose you know any online vendors who inspect their wares before shipping them out? It'd be nice if they gave one of those 999s a once-over before letting me spend my moolah on it.

I have 3 or 4 999's and all are great smokers. However none of them will pass a pipe cleaner. I would like to have a couple more.

Big Tex, I say go get your 999. I have a 90s and love it in it's Donegal finish. They're like $85 new...take the other $35 and get yourself some more tobak!

Everything everyone else said is absolutely true, too, and the Peterson I have is drilled a little bit deep. But you know what, I still love it and all because the shape speaks to me. It smokes great...yeah, I tamp a li'l towards the drafthole when the bowl is low, but that's not really a pain in the ass...I'm tamping anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Pete (I got mine at Milan Tobacco...nice guy, called me and what not), but I would do it over the phone and ask the guy to give it a once over. I know at Milan he would have, had I asked...I was newb-city then. Next time I will. Was looking at a Pete System...Pete's are like me...mostly working class, but capable of some rare moments of regalia. :king: :king: :king:

Great ideas here. I have to throw in a recommendation for buying an estate pipe from our good brother Nathan Mattia at vikingclubpipes.com

I have purchased 3 pipes from him so far, a Parker poker, a big gnarly freehand Knute, and my first Dunhill. Great prices, great service and he's not going to sell you a lemon. Each pipe I have purchased from him has come exactly as described and is ready to smoke. :D Be sure to get your Bob Member discount too. ;)

D&B.

I think the recommendation to get another Savinelli is a good one. I have several Savs and they smoke great.
As to artisan pipes, I agree that Tinsky pipes are well worth the money. So are Bob Hayes pipes (you can check his pipes out via the Cornell & Diehl website).

most of those guys that comment about the Peterson current QC issue always seem to have heard it from someone but most don't have first hand knowledge. Once I find a Pete I like I always call and ask about the drilling and a few extra picture. I have 7 Pete's all bought new since I got into pipes 3 or 4 years ago. I just picked up a Dracula (69) at my local shop that is drilled perfect and freely passes a pipe cleaner

here's a 999 under $100
002-029-16443.jpg

Bullwinkle":es1tw61m said:
here's a 999 under $100
002-029-16443.jpg
I have that exact pipe, the Kildare 999, smokes great and it doesn't matter if a cleaner passes as it's a military mount.

Big_Tex":fgdiapm7 said:
Rusty Mouse: Also food for thought. I don't suppose you know any online vendors who inspect their wares before shipping them out? It'd be nice if they gave one of those 999s a once-over before letting me spend my moolah on it.
I know Smokingpipes has been more than accommodating for me, I'm sure they'd do that for ya.

Puff Daddy":x3offr90 said:
Bullwinkle":x3offr90 said:
here's a 999 under $100
002-029-16443.jpg
I have that exact pipe, the Kildare 999, smokes great and it doesn't matter if a cleaner passes as it's a military mount.
If you would, good sir, could you explain to this newbie what a military mount is?