Buying online

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly use pipesandcigars.com, but have also use Mars Cigars, 4 Noggins. these are all reputable and dependable dealers,in my experience.
I'm sure you'll hear of more :lol!:

smokingpipes
4noggins
pipesandcigars
iwanries

I've placed orders with each and have had good service. P&C's online inventory doesn't seem to update real time, and they have had order fulfillment issues.

Smoking Pipes.com
I have placed an order at 6pm and have had it the next day with standard shipping. Due to where I live for sure but great prices and packaging.

I'm a big fan of smokingpipes.com.

I'm in Ohio, so I'm definitely a bit further away than Sonarman, but I don't think I've ever placed an order with them and not had it arrive on my porch within 48 hours (excluding Sundays). Never had a problem with the website not reflecting accurate availability or pricing.

In general, many of the online vendors are responsive, well stocked and well priced. Over time, however, you begin to notice certain specifics that make a buying decision a moot point.

The issues are...

1) The availability of certain specific popular blends dictates that if you want it (Stonehaven, Gawith Full VA Flake, Esoterica Penzance, etc.) yoo gotta get it while it's there or it's a 6 month wait.

2) Some vendors just do way better on certain specific items that others do. Case in point is Mars on MM Cobs. Nobody beats him. And it's just kinda fun to be able to say, "I got my Cob from Mars!".

3) Here's the biggie though: If you want John Patton blends...you gotta get 'em at 4-Noggins. If you want some Nut Brown Burley...it's Pipeworks and Wilke. How about a nice selection of Hearth and Home and maybe a baggie of Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo...well, that's Pipes and Cigars territory. And so it goes.

Anyway...it goes without saying that you need to watch prices and shipping costs and all. But one thing I think you'll always be pleased with, whether it's 4-Noggins or Outwest Tobacco or Cornell & Diehl for those blends that aren't listed at another vendor (they make a ba-zillion and one, I think, plus all the GL Pease stuff) or McCranie's for that Red Flake...the customer service across the board is just excellent.

I am in California as well. 4noggins is my favorite place to shop. Their shipping is quick (usually USPS priority mail), prices are good, and you have access to all the John Patton stuff and a fairly extensive selection of Bulk tobaccos.

I think Pipesandcigars.com is also good but some of us (myself included) have had a few issues with the accuracy of their online inventory system and how well it relates to what they actually have in stock.

I have ordered several pipes and plenty of tobacco from Smokingpipes.com and I love their service. However, their standard shipping via UPS Ground to CA is freaking S-L-O-W. I remember ordering from them on a Friday one week, & I didn't receive my shipment for at least 9 days (5 business days plus 2 weekends). Not a big deal if you're just stocking up but if you're looking for a weekend smoke and shopping on a Monday or Tuesday prior, best shop elsewhere.

I have also had excellent experiences with Mars Cigars, Boswells, JR Cigars, Iwan Ries and Cigars Intl.

And like BH mentioned, each of these vendors offer something a little different, (house blends, well priced estate pipes, blow-out bonanza sales on accessories, tobaccos, pipes, cigars, etc.)

Happy Shopping :D

Considering I am of a generation which used to "mail-order" items from paper catalogs, the shipping times in todays world are BLAZING! I can remember when you would send off your order and not see ANYTHING in your mailbox for 2 weeks or more ! So the world we live in is just fine with me :p It normally takes 4/5 days for an order from smokingpipes.com to get here to Texas and that's OK by me :p Their orders are usually complete, if there is a problem with stock, I'm notified either by e-mail or phone almost immediatly and the personel are ALWAYS courteous and knowledgeable. Except for B&M specific blends i.e. Royal Blend from Peretti's up in Boston, they are THE supplier for my pipe needs!! Some here have mentioned the "grouchy" phone manner of the boys in Bean Town but that's just the way those folks up in the NE are! My father's family was from up there and I got used to it! Nothing personal in my mind :p

I didn't see it anywhere above but don't forget CupOJoes.com they are awesome too. Also JustForHim.com has certain blends others don't like the MiddleEaarth Pipeweed series and Old Toby Stash that are great.

I price shop like crazy based on price plus shipping. Sometimes you can save oer 30 a pound if you pay attention and search multiple retailers. It isn't too often that happens but it does happen. I can say I have ordered from quite a few retailers but there are tons more out and about.

I've had consistently good results from virtually all the vendors listed. In fact the only one I've never ordered from is Boswells.

Don't forget about Uhle's in Mil, WI. Great Burley blends.

And great wisdom from sage BH!

Cheers,

RR

Ah crap. Other half won't be happy but I will! :D Just ordered some Nightcap and My Mixture 965 from smokingpipes.com because of this thread... I heard it's good stuff anyway. (Homer Simpson voice on) hmmmm......baaaacco.... :lol:

Cigars International- http://www.cigarsinternational.com/index.asp is now stocking pipes and pipe tobacco. I have not ordered a large quantity of pipe tins from them, but Lord knows I have placed many orders for cigars from them, and have always received top notch professional courteous service.

Another top notch cigar retailer is Cigar Place-http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/ They have some of the best pricing on the cigar brands they carry.

Pipes and Cigars- http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ is where I have the most experience. Some folks report that they have had some issues with them, but as for myself, I have always received top notch professional courteous service, with lightening quick shipping, and have never had an item backordered.

Blackhorse":4bxw4uxl said:
And so it begins.
I should flame-proof my credit card now...is that what you're saying? :lol!:

Co'J -- They're just across the state line and I've gotten Internet orders the next day. Very good service. I oughta just go there and buy in person.

Wilke & Pipeworks -- High quality stuff you can't get anywhere else and Carole patiently answers my questions, even the dumb ones. Just across two small state lines, so pretty quick.

J.R. Cigars -- Pipe tobacco selection is kinda limited, but fine with me and good prices.

Iwan Ries -- I used to buy more from I.R. but their Web site exasperates me. If my mouse isn't perfectly clean I can't navigate horizontally through their skinny little channels. I've literally left their site to place the same order elsewhere. They musn't do user testing at all.

Got an order from Boswells. Smoked a bowl of Dan's Blend today. Enjoyed it very much. I'll try another tomorrow.

I got an email from Just For Him today that said they were no longer taking credit cards for tobacco purchases due to some regulation. So if they can't do it then other ones should be following. It said they would still take checks and MO's, but that will sure expand the order time and all.

Blackhorse":mcwat03v said:
I got an email from Just For Him today that said they were no longer taking credit cards for tobacco purchases due to some regulation. So if they can't do it then other ones should be following. It said they would still take checks and MO's, but that will sure expand the order time and all.
Brutal.