Buying rope tobacco for the first time.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I have never smoked rope tobacco before and I was thinking about buying some Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Irish Twist or Brown Bogie. I have read many posts about G & H tobaccos having a soapy or floral flavoring. Do Brown Irish Twist and Brown Bogie have this flavoring? I don't want to buy a rope tobacco with added flavorings.

Brown Boogie really does not have much of a floral scent, if it's even detectable. Something I always wondered about was if that slight floral scent in some of their blends was actually from a particular type of African tobacco. Or something from the curing processes. I am speaking of those blends that it is claimed have no added scents. Because they really know how to make scented blends. I am smoking Coniston Cut Plug right now and it's got an addition that is not at all unpleasant. Some claim that the floral scent got accidentally transferred. They have at least one blend that is labeled unscented, but by their definition it is, but it has an added flavor. Quite confusing at times.

If this is your first rope, be careful. Gawith Hoggarth Brown Irish Twist is nearly the strongest of the strong.

I tried brown bogie and it kicked my ass! Talk about nicotine! :bounce: Whew dogies! My head was spinning! :arrow: It makes a premium cigar compare closer to bubble gum. I'll stick with VaPers and let the real mean of genius smoke the ropes.

I think pretty much ALL of the ropes (which are twists) are pretty nearly all natural tobacco. Even the ones called things like "Sweet Rum Twist" etc. (they have rum, whiskey, maple and coconut) are very slightly scented according to their name, but it's really quite light and fades away very quickly once you start smoking them...it just kind of takes the edge off a bit. The classic Lakeland (that's the soapy smell) flakes are the ones you're referring to. I think you're safe with the bogies, the twists, the ropes, etc. Except of course for the Vit N content. If you would rate strength on a 1 - 10 scale...the ropes, etc. would come in between 8 - 10 depending on the one. The flakes would be between 5 - maybe 7.

If you're not used to playing with cutting the twists and all, you might think of trying some of the ones that are listed as "sliced" - that's pre-cut. Of course you could always just hack up a Bogie into chunks and toss them into one of those mini food chopper things. The results are almost kind of shocking...like popcorn! Like a marshmallow in the microwave!it really "fluffs" the rope up...I guess due to the nature of how they make it. I think I prefer to slice it thin and gently massage it...and stuff it eagerly into the first bowl and I can find! Where's a match? SOMBODY! Find me a match! Oops! Sorry. Got a little carried away there.

Hey Falconer, I am somewhat of a nicotine fiend. When I am not smoking Camel non-filters, I chew Red Man. I never got a nicotine buzz from pipe smoking before - probably because of the tolerance I developed. If G&H rope tobacco is as strong as you say, then I am looking forward to getting my ass kicked! :cheers: I'm going to place an order tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

fumo bro":buunw7te said:
Hey Falconer, I am somewhat of a nicotine fiend. When I am not smoking Camel non-filters, I chew Red Man. I never got a nicotine buzz from pipe smoking before - probably because of the tolerance I developed. If G&H rope tobacco is as strong as you say, then I am looking forward to getting my ass kicked! :cheers: I'm going to place an order tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.
Then I leaf it to you my twisted friend! :D Hope it works out for ya.

Hello Blackhorse and Carlos,

Thanks for your replies.

I have seen many blenders, like Samuel Gawith and G & H, use words like Lakeland and Kendal in the names and/or description of their blends. To what exactly are these words referring? A district or region? Style of blending or the addition of certain essences? :)

Lakeland/Kendal do refer to a region, but it's become synonymous with the "floral" notes in the tobacco. (I.e., not every tobacco from a producer in Lakeland will be a Lakeland-style blend.)

If you're a fan of nicotine, FB, save yourself some of the rope to chew as plug. I'm a lightweight--chewing the whisky twist knocked me on my rump! :no:

Falconer":qv45fxbp said:
I tried brown bogie and it kicked my ass! Talk about nicotine! :bounce: Whew dogies! My head was spinning! :arrow: It makes a premium cigar compare closer to bubble gum. I'll stick with VaPers and let the real mean of genius smoke the ropes.
Thats what rope does brother Dutch!!