Buza's Jamestown 1612

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just opened a tin of Buza's Jamestown 1612, dated 2002. This is one fine McClelland-made mild Red Virginia ribbon mix indeed (see: http://www.pipeshighgrade.com/PrivateLabel/Tobacco01.cfm). Not ready to say anything by way of a review yet (will post in the review section once I get through the entire tin), but so far I am impressed.

Anyone else ever try it? I am thinking about calling the shop in Arizona to see if I can mail order a dozen tins or so. As with most McClelland VAs, this one seems to age fantastically.

Kapnismologist":ojz3jtyh said:
Just opened a tin of Buza's Jamestown 1612, dated 2002. This is one fine McClelland-made mild Red Virginia ribbon mix indeed (see: http://www.pipeshighgrade.com/PrivateLabel/Tobacco01.cfm). Not ready to say anything by way of a review yet (will post in the review section once I get through the entire tin), but so far I am impressed.

Anyone else ever try it? I am thinking about calling the shop in Arizona to see if I can mail order a dozen tins or so. As with most McClelland VAs, this one seems to age fantastically.
Intersting Kap, I have not heard of this blend. I am a big fan of McCl. will give it a swirl if we can get hold of some. will Run it by GURU Muddler and see if he has had a bash??
Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious Kap, how long do you age most of your tins? Is there any rhyme or reason to it?

shortcircuit":wie1x459 said:
I'm curious Kap, how long do you age most of your tins? Is there any rhyme or reason to it?
Aging and cellaring theory and practice, oh my that is a long and involved discussion indeed.

Does anyone have a working link for the old 'Aging and Cellaring FAQ' (or a copy of the document)? That would be a good place to start.

In the meanwhile, suggest starting here: http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html#AGE

(you can also search this board, Smoker's Forum, etc. - thousands upon thousands of words of discussion on the topic to be found).

Lol. I didn't mean for that to be a long, complicated question. I was just kinda curious how long you personally cellar your items. I have read some of the topics on aging and cellaring, although I don't think I have checked out the G.L. Pease article yet, and even have some items aging now. Just wanted to know if you have like some sort of average length of time to age your products, or if its more of a "This has been here a while and looks tasty."

shortcircuit":upq2wixo said:
Lol. I didn't mean for that to be a long, complicated question. I was just kinda curious how long you personally cellar your items. I have read some of the topics on aging and cellaring, although I don't think I have checked out the G.L. Pease article yet, and even have some items aging now. Just wanted to know if you have like some sort of average length of time to age your products, or if its more of a "This has been here a while and looks tasty."
Short answer: there are multiple variables tied to genre, type, and even specific blend along with what is happening in the rotation at a particular time, what time of year it may be (for example: I smoke a lot of VAs in the summer; more Latakia blends in the winter), how deeply a particular blend is cellared in the first place (a lot vs. a little on hand), and so forth and so on. There is no average length of time in general because of the multiple variables involved.

I have bought a tin of Jamestown 1612. No one had done any reviews on the brand but I found that: It has a very intense ketchup tin aroma, It smoked pretty mildly with no tongue bite unless you tried very hard. It seemed one dimensional to me a decent Virg flavor but nothing too exciting. Would I buy it again? Probably not but I have almost finished all of it because it is a decent smoke while you are doing something else.

Many thanks for that. A few thoughts and observations:

snapper-G":u6bj2t95 said:
It has a very intense ketchup tin aroma,
Of course it does. It is a cake aged Red VA made by McClelland. If it did not have such an aroma, something would be wrong.

It smoked pretty mildly with no tongue bite unless you tried very hard.
That would be a classic Red VA for you; very much like McCraine's Red Ribbon or 5100 in this respect.

It seemed one dimensional to me a decent Virg flavor but nothing too exciting.
That is interesting. What is the date on the tin? Did you sip it, or smoke it hot? Typically, the McClelland cake aged Red VA which lies at the base of this particular blend requires a bit of finesse to reveal its nuances (viz. 5100 for example).

Cheers.

Unfortunately I jarred the contents and threw away the tin so I won't be able to date the tobacco. Don't get me wrong, the experience was pleasant. My tastes lean toward blends with Latakia and I take the time to savor each draw. I also like a few straight Virginias and do the same. With Jamestown 1612, I was easily disracted because I wasn't catching any nuances. Maybe it's my first experience with red virg's. I still have most of it left and I'm keeping it at the front of the tobacco cellar and try one out every now and then. Thanks for the comments!