C&D Bow-Legged Bear

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
How can we not have a Bow-Legged Bear thread? You know, the way some of us are always looking for those stronger English and Balkan blends, you would think this one would be right up near the top. I suppose the reviews at TR lead one to believe it's a "love it, hate it" sort of blend. Or maybe it's the word "burley" in the list that scared some people off. It's been a while since I smoked it. But it was great. I am at a loss to explain why it's not on every order I make for the cellar. Nice crumble cake presentation. Loads of latakia. Perique and burley. Good Virginias. There is some sweetness to be found in the blend, so I find the Virginia's no problem. Turkish enough to satisfy a Camel smoker that's walked a mile or three. I don't lose the ability to taste all the flavors that are happening, so my tongue does not get overwhelmed like with some other latakia heavy-blends. You do have to pay attention or risk turning green. Make sure you have eaten, and maybe have something to sip on while smoking. Or the Bear will get you.

I wouldn't say that I "hate" BLB, I just don't care for it! The burley and perique just don't "do it" for me. I don't care for burley and can only take perique in small doses. FTRPLT

Bow Legged Bear is probably my favorite C&D blend.

Ben":r7mx9n9s said:
Apparently you haven't smoked Exhausted Rooster yet, or perhaps you were not fortunate enough to have smoked Yaller Dawg before it was discontinued.

Justpipes":17mikv1l said:
Ben":17mikv1l said:
Apparently you haven't smoked Exhausted Rooster yet, or perhaps you were not fortunate enough to have smoked Yaller Dawg before it was discontinued.
You are correct, sir. Exhausted Rooster is an interesting choice for a name. Perhaps it was selected after a marathon love-making session.

I did not realize this was a stronger english/balkan blend.

Loads of Latakia? Loved or hated on TR? Burley, Virgina, and Perique???

I love a good bitch slappin. This sheats on my next order.

My tin arrived. The aroma of the pressed cube alone smelled promising. I have only smoked one bowl and it has some real pow to it. Spicy and full bodied. I think once my palette tunes in, I am for a real treat.

Bow-Legged Bear is a good heavy English blend, IMO better than C&D's more well known Pirate Kake.

Smokey

I currently have some in my rotation, but so far it's just not doing it for me. Its almost like the flavor of this tobacco falls into a void in my palate.

I don't seem to pick up much flavor, but do feel the heavy body of the baccy and a touch of spice. I need to try it in some different pipes, but so far it's not a keeper for me. :|

GLEE!!!!!!

HERE'S TO C&D CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I bought a tin of Bow-Legged Bear from JR this weekend and find it in all ways fantastic. I love the strength but above all I love tasting a latakia-based blend that is at about 30%, that does not obliterate, for all practical purposes, the other tobaccos in the blend but instead provides a dusky backdrop. That there are VAs, burley, turkish, perique and black cavendish present adds quite a bit of richness. And it's a strong blend, to boot, a notch above Irish Flake.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

But there were some unidentified very small diameter, about 3/8's inches pieces of what looked to be thread in it. I called C&D and they're sending me an 8 oz tin! The heavens bless me! Am I going to smoke the thread-bearing plug? You betcha!

This is indeed a bear in several regards, similar to but more complex and potent than Pirate Kake. I have some 10 YO tins and tonight might call for some.

hp
les

A favorite of mine, but I don't find it that overpowering, but than nothing seems to phase me much. My only complaint is that the concrete-hard plug is murder on my arthritic hands and wrists to whittle into a smokable form of tobacco.

as a newb, I love threads like this that address profile, history, and role certain tobaccos play by themselves and off and/or with each other.

BLB, coming up!

NEXT!