C&D Carolina Red Flake - RECALLED

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup saw that. Mentioned on a few other threads here as well.

My question is, how many folks have had this issue in the tins they received?

Is it widespread, or just limited to a few tins?

:?:

I do see they are asking for the total recall of all 2400 tins.

:|

Cheers,

RR

eklektos44":0421rks0 said:
Fatman is going to be none too pleased... :roll:
Pfffffffft, I am going to exchange it for some other great C&D tobacco!

Gadzukes! What a total bummer.

But yeah, I can think of a dozen blends to trade my tins in for. Still though, I was really looking forward to smoking the CRF.

Brewdude's question remains: has anyone besides Jim Inks tried it? I only went for one tin. I am tempted to open it just out of curiosity. That's just the way I roll. :roll:

Richard Burley":xx6ep4nh said:
Brewdude's question remains: has anyone besides Jim Inks tried it? I only went for one tin. I am tempted to open it just out of curiosity. That's just the way I roll. :roll:
Who knows, maybe a little mold will just spice it up a bit?

Mine arrived. I looked inside. Folded the flaps back up and took it down to the hamshack/basement cellar. And unceremoniously tossed the box on the pile. I intended to deal with it in a week or so. Some gifts and open a tin for me.

But I have been sick now for over a week. Been to the Doc's office twice. They say it's just severe allergies. Been no smoking going on here. So I never had the chance to try it. On my second course of antibiotics trying to stop the pus running out of my eyes and keep me from getting sicker. I thought I had pink eye. But they say no, just allergies. I did this a few years ago right after Chicago one year.

I will call today and make arrangements to send them back. Going to have a heck of a time finding that box in that pile...................

Wow, just Wow!!!! Been at this hobby since Sept 1964. First time I have ever heard of/experienced a pipe tobacco recall :shock: Anyone else experienced this? :cheers: FTRPLT

joshoowah":55vzsin8 said:
It certainly has to be widespread for a full recall.
Mm, not sure Josh. If they believe there's a chance of one tin being contaminated they'll have to recall the lot to be safe. They just can't take the risk. That doesn't mean to say there aren't contamination free tins out there, in fact most probably are. I think I'd be tempted to poP the lid!

Well, it makes sense to recall it. It was meant to be Carolina Red Flake not Carolina Gray and Hairy Flake.

Stick":txsklk3x said:
I'd be tempted to poP the lid!
Was tempted to open mine, but I am going to err on the side of caution & return them instead.

Mold spores are a funny thing and they are quite deft at spreading. And although most of my other containers are well sealed, I have too much money tied up in my cellar to lose any of it to a mold outbreak.

I didn't get any. But I know some of you fellas got multiple tins... I think I would return all but one. Worth the risk, I think.

I'm of the view that it might be several isolated incidents, and therefore not widespread. As far as I can ascertain there hasn't been anyone coming forward on the boards I frequent that have reported a problem. There again, I've not made a comprehensive search.

I don't remember ever hearing about a recall on pipe weed. But my pipe experience is not nearly as long as some of us here.

If C&D feels strongly enough about this to warrant this kind of action, and has offered to refund or replace the tins, including no cost shipping back, then it certainly gets my attention. Not to mention kudos for stepping up to make things right.

This will clearly be a huge financial loss for C&D, but their reputation should not suffer as a result. They've admitted to a mistake in processing. How many manufacturers of other goods are there whom might have tried to sweep this under the rug in a lame attempt to deflect attention from the main issue? And C&D isn't one of them.

I only find it a shame that there isn't some treatment that could be exercised for the tins in circulation which might prevent the possibility of mold. Like repeated freezing/thawing; time in the oven at controlled temps, etc.

I only hope this isn't a sledge hammer to kill a fly.

Cheers,

RR

They didn't specify whether they are accepting only unopened tins or not. I think any tin of Carolina Red Flake, open or not, is being recalled. That's how i understood it anyway. You might go ahead and pop one and see how it is. If it's fine, give it a try. If not, send it back. Who knows? You might have something special. Besides, a first run CRF tin just might be one of the rarest tins around after a few years. Like the US postal stamp with the upside down airplane.

MisterE":crm39987 said:
They didn't specify whether they are accepting only unopened tins or not. I think any tin of Carolina Red Flake, open or not, is being recalled. That's how i understood it anyway. You might go ahead and pop one and see how it is. If it's fine, give it a try. If not, send it back. Who knows? You might have something special. Besides, a first run CRF tin just might be one of the rarest tins around after a few years. Like the US postal stamp with the upside down airplane.
We'll accept both opened and unopened tin MisterE.

I picked up two tins from a B&M and received a phone call from the store manager informing me of the recall the day SP's email went out. I had already opened one tin and enjoyed a couple of bowls from it and must say, it's a DAMN fine tobacco. I had the lead on picking up some more tins to stash away when the phone call came... :no:

Since they were accepting them back opened or sealed, I went ahead and opened the other tin and upon very close inspection (busted out the loupe!) I did not see any indications of mold in either tin I received. I opted to pass on the other tins, but chose to keep the two I had already opened and checked out. I'll smoke through the first tin and keep the second in it's jar to keep an eye out for any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed it just ages well and doesn't go fuzzy on me!

nismo270r":5onn834n said:
I picked up two tins from a B&M and received a phone call from the store manager informing me of the recall the day SP's email went out. I had already opened one tin and enjoyed a couple of bowls from it and must say, it's a DAMN fine tobacco. I had the lead on picking up some more tins to stash away when the phone call came... :no:

Since they were accepting them back opened or sealed, I went ahead and opened the other tin and upon very close inspection (busted out the loupe!) I did not see any indications of mold in either tin I received. I opted to pass on the other tins, but chose to keep the two I had already opened and checked out. I'll smoke through the first tin and keep the second in it's jar to keep an eye out for any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed it just ages well and doesn't go fuzzy on me!
I think this is what I'd do. I'm a risk taker, where's the fun in just packing it up and sending it back? Good on you, nismo. Hope she stays clean for you.