C&D Label Differences

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leacha

Reaction score
Quick question to the knowing. I ordered this,
003-016-0178.jpg

but I received this.
20141206_161730.jpg

My first thought was the generic label is tinned bulk baccy and the artwork label is the production run. Does anybody know if there are any differences, other than the label, between these and other C&D tins labeled differently?

C&D, since their merge with Laudisi (who own's Smoking Pipes.com) has revamped their tin labels. Some of the older labels, for instance the classic white label with the tobacco plant on the front and the type print of the blend name on the back, have been replaced with labels like the one you just received. As far a bulk versus tin is concerned, C&D sells a number of their blends in bulk form as well as tin. Billy Budd, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and many other blends are all available in bulk for bulk prices but are also tinned for convenience. C&D recognizes that some folks prefer tins while others prefer the value added prices of bulk. So in turn, the answer to your question is that you got a geniune tin of Capt Bob's rather than a geniune sack of it. :D

WHAT!? No more CUTE pitures ? What's this world coming to !! :affraid: :affraid:

monbla256":w1uiypot said:
WHAT!? No more CUTE pitures ? What's this world coming to !! :affraid: :affraid:
I know. I actually liked the distinctiveness of the C&D labels.

Thank you for the information.

Looks as though the whimsy and playfulness of Craig Tarler has been replaced by some cretin's idea of a more business-like, serious label. Just sayin'--what do I know? Maybe they ran out of the old labels and the new ones are cheaper. Maybe there's a copyright problem. If they're trying for a more classy look, they can do a lot better than that boring strip of banality.

Puff Daddy":lglmhuf7 said:
So now they're C&D, not Cornell and Diehl?
Whoa! I missed that! Not too swift, Rick! Obviously a new hire marketing genius fresh out of college trying to make his or her mark and salary justification. Wait for the accountants to suggest cheaper ingredients for the contents of the can.

Richard Burley":x4jgfsv8 said:
Puff Daddy":x4jgfsv8 said:
So now they're C&D, not Cornell and Diehl?
Whoa! I missed that! Not too swift, Rick! Obviously a new hire marketing genius fresh out of college trying to make his or her mark and salary justification. Wait for the accountants to suggest cheaper ingredients for the contents of the can.
My biggest problem with "mergers".

Laudisi is Sykes Wilford (owner of smokingpipes.com). I doubt the tobacco quality will degrade because of his management. He's one of the few guys who are good for the industry/hobby. I don't think he'd put his name to it and intentionally turn it to crap.

The artwork change may be a matter of the old C&D artist no longer wanting to do it or the company no longer able to contract with him.

I would imagine the change in the gaphics is an effort to establish a graphic "brand" identity more than anything. Just simple buidness thats all :twisted: :twisted:

I still have old tins of theirs that are blue and white that don't even have cute drawings. :lol:

I doubt the quality/recipes will change, either. I smoke quite a bit of Billy Budd during the cooler months, and I'd be terribly distraught if it became significantly different (than say, just crop origin, etc).

8)

I've never been a huge fan of the cutsy stuff, but I liked the old-fashioned looking blue and white ones.

From what I have come to understand,  Laudisi's involvement is strictly marketing & help with product development for C&D. It was a natural fit for the two companies given the fact that they're both in South Carolina. If anything, Laudisi's strength in the online/e-tailer arena will help to keep C&D and GLP blend's market share healthy.

If you look at the all the recent mergers and corporate absorptions in the pipe tobacco world as of late, i.e. Mac Baren/Sutliff, Lane/STG, I look at this as a win/win. Afterall, I want C&D and GLP blends to remain available with a strong retail presence.

Nooooooo...Cornell & Diehl is in Morganton, North Carolina. Go to the SP blog section and read the well-written story on a recent visit to C&D. Nothing has changed inside. If you have a no-kidding problem with the labels, email them or Sykes and tell'em what you think!!! These are really nice folks; they are sensitive to customer input. I experienced a problem with purchasing a pipe on the SP website last year. I was severely pee-ooo'd! Called'em direct! That plus a couple of emails and the bosses made "it right!" Found me a comparable pipe at a fine price!!! Can't ask more than that!! :D FTRPLT

ftrplt":c4zv2zs7 said:
These are really nice folks; they are sensitive to customer input.
Agreed. Plus fellow BoB'r Shane Ireland works for them as a copywriter. Back in July, I called SmokingPipes.com to make a correction on a shipping address for a bombing. I spoke to Shane, which was great. He sent me a sample of G&H Kendal Flake to try along with the order.

Excellent customer service. :D

FYI, posted on another forum.
Hey guys,

It has nothing to do with saving money on the art: even if we did think like that (which we don't), it was already owned by C&D. And there's no production cost difference between artsy labels and simpler labels: full color printing is full color printing.

We're just trying to organize the line a little bit so that it's more intelligible and manageable for C&D's customers. I'm not sure how obvious this is because we've been doing it in bits and pieces (largely because it's something of an epic project). I think Captain Bob's is the only one that went from having a cartoon label to the standardized label; the other cartoon labels have either been refreshed slightly (the Simply Elegant series), completely redone (the Servicemen series; Autumn Evening; Briar Fox), or have yet to be reworked, though we have plans to do so.

C&D's catalog is massive. It used to be slightly more massive, but it's still huge. We're trying to group things into series, each of which has some common theme, and make sure everything has artwork; we're also trying to maintain the feel of the original artwork while sprucing it up. Since we've been doing it piecemeal, the end goal probably isn't all that intuitively obvious, but that's all we're trying to do.

As for the blends, nothing has changed.

Best,

Sykes

F. Sykes Wilford
http://www.Smokingpipes.com

Just like the post above states, it seems that with the exception of that one blend, the new "C&D" labels have only replaced the old generic white labels with the blue lettering. My newest tin of Briar Fox actually has a new cartoon label (a bit more modern than the old one, but very similar).

Just a thought, but it now looks like you can date your C&D tins by the label !! :twisted: :twisted: