C&D Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

Reaction score
I just watched the Modern Marvels: Tobacco video from the History Channel on youtube (in 4 parts - very interesing - highly recommended). The 4th part which focuses on pipe tobacco features shots of the C&D factory and interviews with the owner, who seems like a nice fellow.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I have only tried a few C&D tobaccos, notably Old Joe Krantz and Burley Flake #1, which I like but I have better burleys in my rotation so the tins have been going slow.

So, what would you recommend to someone looking for full flavor tobaccos, and preferring to avoid latakia in anything more than an extremely small condimental capacity?

Right now I'm on a bit of a Virginia kick, the last two weeks I've been smoking a lot of FVF, HOTW, and Esoterica Tilbury and Dunbar.

You've got to try Bayou Morning - a great, musty, full flavoured VaPer.

Opening Night and Briar Fox are pure Virginias and are excellent!
Other favorites include: Exhausted Rooster, Sunday Picnic,
Red Carpet, Old Joe Krantz, Three Friars...

Another C&D blend I enjoy and recommend--

Winchester (#456)
ditto on Yorktown and Briar Fox

Jim

Well I think I will try one of those sampler deals that they do (8 2oz samples for $40), although I don't have near enough free mason jars to transfer them from baggies (I don't like to keep tobacco in baggies for too long as it loses flavor IMO). I'll have to do a lot of smoking!

Right now I'm thinking of this spread based on reading about your recommendations and others I have heard about:

Exhausted Rooster
Bayou Morning
Briar Fox
Opening Night
Sunday Picnic
Night Train
Winchester
Kajun Kake

How different are the bayou morning regular and the flake? Is one noticably better than the other?

Just seconding Opening Night. It has a 4 star rating on TR, and I personally think its phenomenal.

Yes - stock up on the Opening Night :)

Other C&D of note:

Pirate Kake
Bow Legged Bear
Good Morning
Mississippi Mud
Star of the East Flake (also available non-flake)

Also looks like Tuskegee Airmen is worth a good look.

--

regarding keeping samples - I have found that keeping a dozen or so samples in baggies inside a mason jar or even tupperware keep them fresh for months and the tobaccos don't seem to suffer

--

regarding flake and non-flake - it may be a matter of personal preference but it seems to me that plug or flake is better than ribbon for flavor, burn time, and cool smoke - some people just don't dig the flakes though...

I have maybe as many as 30 or 40 samples of various ages that I keep in 4 zip loc twist'n'loc containers (basically a tupperware with a screw on lid), 2 for latakia, 2 for regular, and aros I keep outside. They never lost any moisture that I could tell, but some samples I've left in there for even as little as 2 months or so suffered as a result - for instance I had a bowl of stonehaven from a sample baggie in there a few weeks ago that tasted like a combination of nothing and deer tongue, and st. james flake that absorbed some of the light topping on luxury navy flake. Others have been fine though. I'm not sure what causes some to change and some to have no noticable difference. Maybe the different types of plastic baggies.

For the bayou morning thing, I normally much prefer flakes but with this tobacco I believe the blends are actually different from what I've read. I also read that the original (non-flake) is better, of course that's completely subjective.

+1 on Briar Fox. I love the stuff. Same for Interlude and Haunted Bookshop (the latter especially if you like Burley).

-Andrew

Muddler":4wgwsu5a said:
You've got to try Bayou Morning - a great, musty, full flavoured VaPer.
Ditto What Mudd said....... Safe Harbor Flake, Barrister and Exhausted Rooster if you are into burley! Exhausted Rooster is at the top of my list!

I agree that Haunted Bookshop is a really good burley with a bit of Virginia and perique. Great burn and taste.

I can confirm that Tuskegee Airman is very good if you like some Turkish. Another new blend that is right up there with GL Pease Chelsea Morning, is Buffalo Soldier. Buffalo Soldier is a bit tamer than Tuskegee Airman. But it's a solid, well flavored smoke. Plenty of satisfaction.

Carlos":muscvlw5 said:
I can confirm that Tuskegee Airman is very good if you like some Turkish. Another new blend that is right up there with GL Pease Chelsea Morning, is Buffalo Soldier. Buffalo Soldier is a bit tamer than Tuskegee Airman. But it's a solid, well flavored smoke. Plenty of satisfaction.
Amen Carlos :cheers:

kilgore965":cmjhamya said:
I agree that Haunted Bookshop is a really good burley with a bit of Virginia and perique. Great burn and taste.
That 1 is nice. Right now I'm enjoying a slight variation of that blend that C& D produces-Virginia Gentleman with oriental substituting for the perique. This is about my favorite burley blend. earl

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th the recommendations for Exhausted Rooster. I love the stuff.