Cabaiguan Guapos 46

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Whoa!! This is one of the wildest cigars I've ever smoked :shock:

I wandered into a little hole-in-the-wall cigar joint near my home that has a nice selection of cigars and drifted around, waiting for something to catch my eye. I spied a lone, half empty box of Cabaiguan cigars among a case full of Tatuaje's and knew that was the one. I'd been wanting to try these for some time but they're a limited run and not often available in shops. Cabaiguan is a Pete Johnson owned brand, creator of the very popular Tatuaje line of cigars, but the blend was created by Don Pepin Garcia and is named after his home town in Cuba. The Guapo is the same Cabaiguan cigar but with a sungrown wrapper instead of the traditional connecticut shade leaf. This vitola went 5 1/2 by 46 ring.

I've heard it mentioned before but never experienced it myself. Have you ever had a steak that was salted and heavily covered in coarse cracked black pepper, then grilled? You take that first bite of steak and an explosion of black pepper flavor erupts on your tastebuds - that is the Cabaiguan Guapo's flavor profile. Intense black pepper, not spicy hot or overly strong tobacco, but intense pepper. The smoke is quite odd to say the least but one that, intense as it is, you can't put down. At about the halfway point the black pepper subsided a bit and some normal cigar notes began to appear with it, but I smoked this thing down to the band and it was an intense experience to the end. I wouldn't rush right out and buy a box as I can't see myself smoking a lot of these but that's not because they're bad, they're really good in a weird sort of way actually. I just don't know that I could take the emotional level these cigars create too often :lol: The nicotine level wasn't so terribly high but by the time I was done I was ready for a good long rest :poncho:

If you get the chance, you should definitely give these a try.

Nice review P, sounds like a Partagas Black on steroids. I smoked a nice Diamond Crown Maximus today and was totally satisfied, till I read your review...

Very smart review.

It also reminds me of a Comacho negro...reallly strong, or really i should say full bodeid ( as strong implies harsh) I never thought i'd say one was too much for me, but that and Fuente Opus X are just a tad outside my profiule preferences.

I will have to try one of those you mention just on principle though :)

I know, carlos...doesn't it? I never even heard of the line. Not that I am aguru, but i hold my own...i think...

...it's got me real intrigued!

I would like to think that I have a nice selection of cigars and this smoke shines a lot brighter than even limited release cigars. Truly a fantastic cigar. Complex if it takes rest in a kept humidor. Tastes of sweetness, spice, honey and pepper come to mind when thinking of this one.

Coming from a place of cigars and venturing into the pipe world, I think that everyone who is interested in cigars and finding what is out there should give this smoke a try after dinner (an evening cigar).