Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Stubbs

Reaction score
I was working my part time job and smoking my pipe..the owner came up and gave me a Calabash pipe..he had taken in pawn years ago and found the bowl was broken under the cake..I bought a new bowl and removed the stem oxidation and polished it
This is the result
02152014-001_zps1d9bb65a.jpg

Very nice pipe!

I've wanted a Calabash for some time. Did you have any trouble fitting the new bowl to the gourd? I've wondered how hard replacements are to fit.

Bobby Stubbs":nrh5oymq said:
I was working my part time job and smoking my pipe..the owner came up and gave me a Calabash pipe..he had taken in pawn years ago and found the bowl was broken under the cake..I bought a new bowl and removed the stem oxidation and polished it
This is the result
02152014-001_zps1d9bb65a.jpg
The inside of the bowl measured 52.5 mm with my digital caliper..The pipe is most likely a Pioneer
J H Lowe had a bowl in stock with those measurements..and it is a slip in fit no adjustments were needed..but if needed for a tighter fit I use a light coating of ultra copper silicone on the cork and let it dry 24 hours

I bought a gourd calabash disaster on ebay last year with a bad stem and a broken meerschaum bowl. The bowl damage was hidden by the seller and I was able to get a partial refund. I had Mike Myers build me a new stem, ordered a new bowl from Turkey and recorked the seal to fit. The pipe was like new except it had a horrible ghost. After blowing it out with air pressure and almost a dozen salt treatments, I now own a great pipe.
Gourd calabashes smoke cool and tend to tame harsh blends. Enjoy your pipe!