California baccy prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowflyingpenguin

Reaction score
I noted in another thread that tobacco prices in California are considered high by most posters standards. I will be visiting San Francisco in February and I am wondering if I should budget some tobacco purchase for there or use my allowance for Las Vegas next week.

Does anybody know the general prices 'off the shelf' in SF? I believe that they have different prices for in store sales and out of state sales (by mail order).

BTW any recommendations for tobacco or pipe shops in LV? I did note a Davidoff shop in the MGM Grand when I was there before, but it was predominantly cigars.

I can't say for certain, never having bought tobacco in Cali, but having bought tobacco in Canada I would wager that you won't find the prices down there to be all that bad.

Nothing great in Vegas as far as I know. I was last there in December 2010 right as Dunhill was starting to come back to the market and I googled a few places all of which turned out to be head shops. I actually stayed in the MGM that time and the Davidoff shop was a complete bust, nothing great and everything overpriced. There are two places I would recommend, though. The first, if you smoke cigars at all, is Casa Fuente at Ceasers. The stuff they have there is out of this world. The other place is called Napoleons in the Paris. Its a cigar bar, they don't have much of a selection, but you're more than welcome to bring your own. The environment is great, live piano, and a great selection of whiskey, port and champagne.

I've heard-tell this is the place to go in SF:

http://grantsmokeshop.com/

I've talked to guys at Briar Patch in Sackatomatoes, CA and their prices are on-par to Tinder Box here in Reno, so I don't think it's an across-the-board thing in California on prices. Might be a metro taxation, SF's full of that kind of crap.

Taxes in general are high here in NC. The Governor wants to raise it again. It's already at 8%. I am not sure how much higher the "sin" tax is, but most people will drive to SC to get cheaper booze and cigarettes.

Problem is that there's no really BM anywhere outside of Charlotte.

Canadian taxes are nuts...
I live in Manitoba and a carton of cigarettes is $80, 2 oz (50grams) of pipe baccy is around $19.

:cry:

You will find prices in the bay area to be cheaper than Canada, at the same time
they are higher here than the rest of the known universe.
last April I managed to score some FVF at Telfords in Mill Valley.
They were charging 45.00 for the 500 gram box, since I hadn't seen any locally for at least a year , I bit the bullet & got 2.

old_salt":suwckqlr said:
You will find prices in the bay area to be cheaper than Canada, at the same time
They were charging 45.00 for the 500 gram box, since I hadn't seen any locally for at least a year , I bit the bullet & got 2.
$45 for 500 grams of FVF?!? That's 16.9 oz, fellas. That's one HELL of a deal! I paid that much for 250 grams the first week in January of this year at a reputable tobacconist in Pittsburgh.

You don't happen to have Telfords phone number do you?

Edit: found it. http://www.telfordspipeandcigar.com/

UberHuberMan":5m4ov3dj said:
old_salt":5m4ov3dj said:
$45 for 500 grams of FVF?!? That's 16.9 oz, fellas. That's one HELL of a deal! I paid that much for 250 grams the first week in January of this year at a reputable tobacconist in Pittsburgh.

You don't happen to have Telfords phone number do you?

Edit: found it. http://www.telfordspipeandcigar.com/
at those prices I'll be hitting this place for sure , eh!

My Bad, it was the 8 oz. box which would make it 250 G.

So the price is still nasty!