Camp Fire!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
I've been smoking Charing Cross and diggen it. One of the things I liked is when I light up I get a distinct camp fire aroma. My friends say it reminds them of mesquite (mesquite to you non south western types is a tree, gives off a wonderful aroma when burned, and is the best for cooking or smoking any kind of meat). What I would like to find is a tobacco that gives me that camp fire aroma through out the smoke or at least hangs around a bit longer. Any suggestions?

The "camp fire" aroma you like is an aspect of Latakia in a blend/mixture and is one of the aspects that most folks like about "English" type mixtures. Two of my favorite which seem to me have this aroma are Peretti's Royal Blend and one I've just tried and like, Sutliff's Blend #5. Several of the older Balkan mixtures which are not available anymore also had this aspect to them. Dunhill's 965 has a bit of this aroma to it though it is tempered somewhat by the Virginia's and Cavendish in it. Many other folks will probably chime in with their choices but these two are my current faves which I find have this aspect to them. And if you want a good straight Virginia with this aspect to it, try McClelland's Virginia Woods which has a smoky/campfire somewhat more pleasant to non-smokers aroma to it. Many non-smokers do not like this aroma as is given off by the "English" style of blends/mixtures. JMHO :p

My wife gets included in the non smoker side, so maybe the McClelland's Virginia Woods will be my next try. Don't understand how someone could not like a campfire smelling pipe.

I'll try Charring Cross. As I mentioned in another thread, the "wonderful" aroma that non-smokers have told me that Odyssey imparts is akin to a "smoldering, moldy log cabin."

They don't mean that is a good way I assure you. :lol:

Most non-smokers seem to be really put-off by Lat mixes. Charing Cross is on my list, but then so is "Quiet Nights," especially after I was so taken with "Sextant." Good ole Pease. 8)

One word, Margate. After smoking a bowl of this, you'll wonder where you left the rack of ribs.

Yes, definitely Margate. Also try Star of the East from C&D.

Not quite as heavy but my favorite English blend is Peterson's Old Dublin.

Clan Shaw offers a tobacco that's named Camp Fire. It has a few reviews at TobaccoReviews, and the posters seem to love it or hate it. I once had a sample that I thought was pretty good and deserving of the name. The review site mentioned Tobacco Direct.

Gawith Hoggarth & Co 'Balkan Mixture' might be just the ticket. Earthy camp fire note all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

That camp fire aroma comes from the Latakia. Just look for blends with a good percentage of Latakia and you'll probably find that aroma you desire (I say "probably" because some blends add other aromatic components to disguise the Latakia, so you're better off staying away from those).

Well, you've got 10 blends/mixtures to order now and smoke each one completely and then come back and tell us what you think ! Smoke the whole tin of each to get the whole picture :p

twist my arm please! NO! don't make me do it! It's a tough assignment but someone has got to do it.

If some of these aforementioned blends are "campfire" blends, Hearth&Home's Larry's Blend would be a "bonfire" blend. It's got almost 70% latakia and really packs a punch. I smoked a bowl the other week at work and when I went in to do cafeteria duty, one of the kitchen workers commented that it smelled like something was on fire in the cafeteria, lol!!!

-Scott

FYI I noticed that Cup O' Joes offers a house "Adirondeck Campfire" blend. They're located in upstate NY, but my guess is that eastern and western campfires smell pretty much the same.

scottbtdmb":zuaxoupu said:
If some of these aforementioned blends are "campfire" blends, Hearth&Home's Larry's Blend would be a "bonfire" blend. It's got almost 70% latakia and really packs a punch. I smoked a bowl the other week at work and when I went in to do cafeteria duty, one of the kitchen workers commented that it smelled like something was on fire in the cafeteria, lol!!!

-Scott
I'm a "Larrys Blend" fan myself. I had the opportunity to meet Larry at a recent NY Pipe club meeting at P&C and also Russ O., the blender. Great stuff, in fact I just finished a bowl in my Castello Sea Rock.

Kyle Weiss":uesl9vvl said:
Most non-smokers seem to be really put-off by Lat mixes. Charing Cross is on my list, but then so is "Quiet Nights," especially after I was so taken with "Sextant." Good ole Pease. 8)
My first tobacco order as a new smoker was a 965 match. When it arrived I opened the box and was almost killed dead by the powerful sickly sweet stink of the Lat. For you longtime smokers I'm sure you can't recall what your first tobacco experience was like but I literally felt ill upon smelling the 965. Give me a little credit - I was smart enough to pack a bowl and try it. Of course the smoke was far better than the initial smell, and now I love the English blends.

So I can see why your comment about being put off makes a lot of sense. I actually called Russ at Pipes & Cigars to make sure my purchase wasn't spoiled or soured somehow.

One of the most unintentionally comic tobacco reviews I'e ever seen is on, well, the tobacco review site. The tobacco being reviewed is Savinelli English something. Lots of Lat. Plenty of campfire aroma. The reviewer says he never tried a latakia blend before. This was his very first, but he plunged ahead, anyway. He opened the ttin, sniffed it and thought it smelled like -- gasp! -- a stinky, smoldering campfire. He lit 'er up and that awful campfire smell and taste was still there! He put it aside, perhaps thinking it would mellow, but, no!, he still couldn't get rid of that awful, awful campfire smell! He gave it one star. Well, he's certainly not obliged to like everything or anything, but I hope he has a sense of humor. And, I've done the same. I didn't like my first Martini, but after a a couple more I started to develop a lasting affection for them. Thank goodness, I didn't drink half of my first and then rush to a drink review site:)