Can anybody tell me about my new "old" pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_D

Reaction score
Just got this new "old" pipe, it's a KB&B (Kaufman Brothers and Bondy) Blue Line Bakelite. I'm told that it's a Pre Kaywoodie but I don't know... Any idea how old it might be or any other info about it or the "Blue Line" brand? I've done a bunch of searching on the net and found almost nada...

Thanks,

Shane

I tried looking up a little information, but most of it is focused on the Kaywoodie line. Yours is likely early, 1920s? 1930s?

It's a really nice looking one, that cross-grain and the stem are a treat. 8)

Tell you about it? OK.

It's sending me texts saying it's willing to emigrate to Canada.
Move the phone away from the pipe!
I've heard of PAD but SAD is a new one...

A nice, lightweight looking pipe. Haven't a clue as to the briar's age. The stem may not be the same vintage as the briar simply because of the translucent material and blue band. Definitely not bakelite as the stamping indicates.

Regardless, if you like it, the age is unimportant. Enjoy!

Shane, not an expert collector here, but I can tell you if it were mine, I would rarely smoke it as it is in great shape and approaching 100yrs of age. Congrats on acquiring a gorgeous collectible. I love the ruby colored stem and classic English shape. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Great looking pipe. I really like those old Billiards with a longer than typical shank. I have a Peterson's like that; don't see many of them around.

Kyle Weiss":4atzfck7 said:
I tried looking up a little information, but most of it is focused on the Kaywoodie line. Yours is likely early, 1920s? 1930s?

It's a really nice looking one, that cross-grain and the stem are a treat. 8)

That's about as much info as I found... I know it's pre-Kaywoodie and that's about it. I have to admit part of the reason I bought it was the age but mostly it was the look and the shape. I just think it's fantastic looking and because of that I probably overpaid. Even if I did overpay I'm happy with what I paid and I guess that's all that counts. You know what they say, "something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it" and I paid what I was will to.

Rusty":7lnzrl0t said:
Tell you about it? OK.

It's sending me texts saying it's willing to emigrate to Canada.
Move the phone away from the pipe!
I've heard of PAD but SAD is a new one...
You know I talked to the pipe and it told me that it's not willing to immigrate to Canada... Kept mumbling something about french, and weird since of humor... I don't know... Sorry :scratch:

As for whether or not to smoke the pipe... Honestly this was never never really a thought until I read some of these posts. I am not the type of a person that goes out and buys a Corvette Z06 and parks it in the garage and looks at it but never drives it. I'm the guy that went out and bought a Corvette Z06 and drove the wheels off of if (put 57,000 miles on it in 3 years). (pics below) I will say that I do take car of my stuff so I figure that I will smoke this pipe and enjoy it, I will take care of it and hopefully it will be with me for a long long time. I asked about the history of the company (Blue Line KB&B) because I was curious to see what I actually got. I didn't buy the pipe to resale, and I didn't buy it as a correctors item I bought it because I thought it was magnificent and the age was just a bonus that added to the intrigue. :D

Thanks all,

Shane