Can anyone recommend a good pipe refurbisher?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
I just recently bought a nice estate pipe from ebay that requires a good bit of refurbishing (inside and out).

I have researched a few places such as Starfire pipe works, Walkers pipe repair etc.

Does anyone have any experience with those? Or perhaps got one that they can personally recommend?

SpeedyPete":3jnxwcrt said:
Walker is your man :cheers: 
Have you sent any pipes to them for cleaning before?
I'm really curious about their 'ozone' machine.

I've used 3 different pipe repairmen to date. Mike @ Walker gets my nod hands down, beautiful work and reasonable turnaround times.

Never tried their ozone treatment though

Isagar":gtuzrxyu said:
SpeedyPete":gtuzrxyu said:
No, I've never done that but I've bought a couple of pipes from Mike which he's refurbished. Good as new. Lots of the BoB deal with him and all of them are happy. Never heard one complaining about bad service.

Yep, one more vote for Walker. I have sent two pipes in since Mike took over the helm, couldn't be happier.

I've used Floyd Norwood as well, also excellent work. He's a good bit faster than most of the others, from my experience and what I've read of others.

Mike @ Walker gets my vote as well, though his current turn around is about 6 weeks.

I've used Walker for ALL my bit work for almost a decade now and have to say they are one of if not THE BEST !! I have not had a pipe that needed their "Ozone" treatment, I only own two estate pipes, so I can't speak to that part of your question, but from my limited experience I would NOT hesitate to send a pipe to 'em for it! :p 

A quick question for the folks that have used Walker - Does Mike do custom stems? I am looking to have a Peterson 338 of mine refitted with a fishtail. I know I could send it to Peterson, but at that rate I might as well sell it and buy another sans P-lip

DrumsAndBeer":4vrhgixc said:
A quick question for the folks that have used Walker - Does Mike do custom stems? I am looking to have a Peterson 338 of mine refitted with a fishtail. I know I could send it to Peterson, but at that rate I might as well sell it and buy another sans P-lip
HE does ALL kinds of bit work! OEM to custom. I've had several P-lips replaced with fishtail by Walker. They do BIT work !! :twisted: :twisted: 

Thanks for all the insightful replies guys.

I guess I'll try Norwood first seeing as they got less than a week turnaround time compared to Mike's 6 weeks.

PS. Is the gentleman photo on http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/ Mr.Norwood himself?

Isagar":0hy8c2vj said:
SpeedyPete":0hy8c2vj said:
I had a real stubborn Lakeland ghost from an estate. Sent it to Walker and he had it in his ozone contraption for a week.

Got it back and it was about 90% gone. Still can taste some of it at the last few puffs of the bowl.

Lakelands are very stubborn, but I'm dedicated to smoking the ghost out as I really like the pipe.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Isagar":vm9whozi said:
I guess I'll try Norwood first seeing as they got less than a week turnaround time compared to Mike's 6 weeks.
I have had Norwood do one stem. Turnaround was pretty snappy. I am pretty sure I sent it off and had it back in a week. I was very pleased with the work.

monbla256":b5i1nake said:
HE does ALL kinds of bit work! OEM to custom. I've had several P-lips replaced with fishtail by Walker. They do BIT work !! :twisted: :twisted: 
Cool. So he uses the existing stem I take it? That would be great.

DrumsAndBeer":14voqqw1 said:
monbla256":14voqqw1 said:
When I've had my P-Lips replaced with wide fishtails, he makes a NEW bit to fit and sends the OEM bit back with the pipe with the new bit fitted. I'm not picky about whether it has a 'P' on it as that part wouldn't go in my mouth anyway !! :twisted: 

Isagar":airh0nmz said:
PS. Is the gentleman photo on (link to Norwood's home page) Mr.Norwood himself?
If Mr. Norwood is a male model, then yes, that might be him.
If mr. Norwood repairs pipes for a living, then, no, that is not him.

(honest answer: That is a stock photo, not Mr. Norwood)

I have two pipes with Mike at Walker's, I'll report back when they arrive home in mid-December.

I've used Mike at Walkers many times. Excellent work but as others mentioned there is about a six week turn around. You can check on their work load any time by visiting their web site and going to- Pipe Repairs-Repair schedule.
I always get the ozone treatment on estates. It's only $5 and well worth the minimal cost.

DrumsAndBeer":zmbwu4sv said:
monbla256":zmbwu4sv said:
Not that, that couldn't be done but I must assume that they change the bit for a fishtail type. Much less work involved.