Can smoking after/during drinking cause a terrible smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterland

Reaction score
I was haveing a nice time drinking some mead and then proceded to smoke. It tasted dry and well just bad. I continued thinking it would go away and it didn't. I put the pipe away for the day, kept drinking. I smoked the same thing the next day, same pipe and all was fine.

I concluded it was something to do with the taste of the mead, which is sweet. It must have caused my palet to not like the tobacco which was an aro. I remember my mouth got real dry also.

Anyone had this happen?

I have done this before but maybe not in the same order with fine results. Next time I will try smoking first then drinking and see what happens.

The pairing, chemistry, and tongue fatigue can all play a part. Taking a break, drinking some plain seltzer (per Kyle)will help, especially if you have a tongue that can taste the solar winds on Jupiter (pretzels).

It can definitely change your perception of what you are smoking. Just as an examole, an IPA beer can drastically change what I taste in a smoke (not for the better), but a really smooth (blue moon) can have almost zero effect. I can really only speak to beers though.

You know, as much Mead as I've made in the past - I've never tried it with a smoke.

Some drinks can complement the smoke. Harlock turned me on to Earl Grey with an English blend. Somehow, the Earl Grey Tea really complements the Latakia.

Many here are fond of a good Scotch with their pipe. I guess some matches work well and some don't work. Maybe the Mead would go better with a different blend, something other than an Aro. With Mead, I'd be tempted to try a VA blend.

Yeah, what you drink certainly will effect your smoke. For me, though, the most dramatic example was actually not drinking, but rather eating two apples before I went out for a smoke. It must have been the acidic nature of the apple, but it was an absolutely awful smoke. The more I kept at it the worse it got.

It's all chemistry. Body, mouth, tobacco, post-eating/drinking, or even drinking anything while smoking. Only your palate will know what works best. It's part of the reason why I will suggest seltzer water rather than coffee, tea, beer, whiskey, etc...it's about the only "neutral" stuff (other than water) that won't necessarily hinder a smoke...but even then, water has its own properties and can lean soft to mineralized (affects taste) and can go slightly acidic to alkaline. I figure if you make your own seltzer water, whether right from the tap or from a favored water source, one's tongue is "used" to the product.

Another thing that can happen is wetness... drinking while smoking obviously increases mouth moisture and saliva, some of which can end up in the pipe, which is never a good thing. If you aren't used to keeping the button of the stem above the "spit line" (not a pretty term, but it's accurate) problems can arise.

8)

Ive had bad results from drinking any kind of beer wile smokeing, any kind of sweetened drink doesnt work for me either.