Can this one be salvaged?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Kaplan":h776ukw2 said:
Well, I guess we'll never know. I was outbid. I'm really not much of a gambling man. With a $10.50 shipping fee, $25 was as big a chance as I was willing to take on such a "grim rimmed" pipe. By the way, Harlock, considering your current avatar pic, I would have expected a darker, wordier description from you than just "pretty grim". :p
I didn't want to discourage you, but I think you'll be better off without that one :D. She looked like she was smoked hard and put up charred. Hmm, just thought of that little phrase. I think I like it better than the original.

I'm totally using it from now...smoked hard and put up charred.

GrampaGrossbart":hkktt7s6 said:
And Harlock--"The Festival," yeah? Short but sweet, one of my favorites!
Absolutely!
You definitely know your Lovecraft.
And easily one of my favorites as well. :cheers:
Cheers,
Chris.

Harlock999":fwon8pjl said:
GrampaGrossbart":fwon8pjl said:
And Harlock--"The Festival," yeah? Short but sweet, one of my favorites!
Absolutely!
You definitely know your Lovecraft.
And easily one of my favorites as well. :cheers:
Cheers,
Chris.
See, the Yule-tide gives it away. Now, making the connection from charred ebay bowl to horrific, inhuman rites taking place beneath the streets of Kingsport is a leap I might not have come to in a million strange aeons, but it was a very apt passage for the occasion! And yeah, Warts and all, the Gentleman from Providence does good by me--and especially his shorter stories, where you don't get burnt out on the antiquated, ornamental language. Then again, "At the Mountains of Madness" is also a favorite, and that's the longest, and longest-winded of the bunch, so what do I know... Cheers!

Or, rather, Ia! Ia!

GrampaGrossbart":737ufcoa said:
See, the Yule-tide gives it away. Now, making the connection from charred ebay bowl to horrific, inhuman rites taking place beneath the streets of Kingsport is a leap I might not have come to in a million strange aeons, but it was a very apt passage for the occasion! And yeah, Warts and all, the Gentleman from Providence does good by me--and especially his shorter stories, where you don't get burnt out on the antiquated, ornamental language. Then again, "At the Mountains of Madness" is also a favorite, and that's the longest, and longest-winded of the bunch, so what do I know... Cheers!

Or, rather, Ia! Ia!
Ah yes, the hoary yule-rite... :cheers:
From Stygian depths,
Chris

It looks like it was set on fire!!!

That could be tobacco? Looks like burnt wood to me.

First of all, Harlock: well done sir! Although out of context now with the new avatar,* it still sort of works. A lost soliloquy cut from the final edit of The Strangers, perhaps?
Secondly, most of you guys show so little faith in me! :D I make an occasional hobby of restoring old beaters like this, and like our brother Riff Raff, I love a good challenge. Therefore I find no small amount of irony in this latest acquisition. It's roughly the same shape and possibly in worse condition than the one that escaped me, with similar damage to the rim. I don't know who the maker is, as there's a layer of crud over the whole thing that somehow manages to be both sticky and dusty. I presume someone swabbed it with olive oil and left it on an exposed shelf for a few years. (like a thousand) It'll be a week or two before I get around to starting the restoration on this one, but when I do I'll start a new thread and post step-by-step pics. I'm eager to see what the pipe looks like that's hiding under there!

*[EDIT] As soon as I posted this, Harlock switched his avatar from Peter Lorre back to H.P. Lovecraft. :suspect: