Can We Talk GBD's For A Few Minutes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I envy your collections.  :cheers: 
It's a shame the brand was tarnished back in the late 70's. I bought a Christmas pipe that was abysmal.
Before that they were very high quality items.

I have 10 GBDs, all early vintage. In 1961 I was an undergraduate and my girlfriend wanted to get me a GBD for my birthday. The cheapest of them was $15, out of reach for poor undergrads, so she got me a City de Luxe, a GBD second, for $10. It was my first good pipe, and a magnificent smoker. It disappeared a few years later during my Navy days. My first real GBD was a Granitan Canadian, purchased in Honolulu in 1969 for the princely sum of $20 – but as a naval officer I could afford it. Over the next several years I acquired the rest of them. You're right on target, AJ, that generation of GBD pipes is simply unmatched by anything produced today. While it is true that there are some very fine pipes being produced today, both by individual artisans and in certain factories, there was a certain magic to that generation – perhaps it was in the briar they were able to acquire, perhaps it was some other magical ingredient.
I also have three Edwards purchased in 1970: a poker, and two Edwards specialties: the Coachman And a spiral – remember them?. I confess, however, that they have never given me the smoking pleasure than I expected.

One of my absolutely favorite pipes!! I have about ten plus another eight GBD seconds, two are Digby's. The old pipe shop I worked in during the 60's featured GBDs. The store pipes were GBD seconds, all natural finished. Just great smokers, even a couple that are pock-marked with fills!!! They are all Latweed pipes that just keep getting better and better!!!! FTRPLT