Can you get Good quality pipes for a hundred bucks or less.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
I would like some advice with regard to this topic. Is this even possible? Also, would I have to go with one of the major brands or is there an individual pipe maker out there who does just this. I don't expect anything fancy, just a decent/good smoker that will last.

I prefer individual makers. I'd like to see my money go to someone who is more "tangible" if that makes sense.
Let me know what everyone thinks.

Thanks
Jay

I have a pretty decent collection of Petersons that were all under $100. My only complaint is they don't really pass the pipe cleaner test of running from stem to bowl. But they smoke pretty well and I'm pleased overall.

Stanwell and Sav both produce extremely reasonably priced pipes, some of them from $60 or so. I haven't purchased either yet.

Honestly, my main pipe purchases have revolved round estate pipes. If you're careful and vigilant you can find some great stuff on ebay for a lot less than $100.

I think the main thing to remember is throughout the pipe spectrum there can be good and bad pipes at any price level and even a $12 no name ebay pipe can be an epic good smoker. In my mind, the main reason one would pay $3-500 for a high end pipe is the quality control. And the name. If I buy a Dunhill for $500 or whatever, that thing better pass the pipe cleaner test and be damn near flawless. I think they know that as well, and the higher price is partially a guarantee of quality.

In the end, there are much more educated folks on the board who I am sure will chime in, and I defer to their greater knowledge and wisdom, but that's my perspective as of now.

Since (from the tone of your post) you aren't familiar enough with this stuff to swim in the deep end of the pool yet, Google Marty Pulvers and click on Bargains or Specials or whatever he calls them.

Marty, IMHO, is the least bullshit pipe merchant out there.

This is not to imply that selected others aren't as well, but they're often selling on consignment and burdened by their consignors' highest-possible-retail expectations. Marty isn't.

He calls it the way he sees it, and the difference often shows.

(Bearing in mind, as always, that used pipes for sale are often the ones people want rid of. Meaning very few well-proportioned billiards, princes, bent bulldogs &c. and a lot of "creative" shapes).

:face:

For around $100, I think you can find some good Petersons, Stanwells, and Savinellis. For individual makers, I would look into Boswell and Jake Hackert pipes.

Yak":7mdz45dz said:
Since (from the tone of your post) you aren't familiar enough with this stuff to swim in the deep end of the pool yet, Google Marty Pulvers and click on Bargains or Specials or whatever he calls them.

Marty, IMHO, is the least bullshit pipe merchant out there.

This is not to imply that selected others aren't as well, but they're often selling on consignment and burdened by their consignors' highest-possible-retail expectations. Marty isn't.

He calls it the way he sees it, and the difference often shows.

(Bearing in mind, as always, that used pipes for sale are often the ones people want rid of. Meaning very few well-proportioned billiards, princes, bent bulldogs &c. and a lot of "creative" shapes).

Thanks for the advice. I've been smoking for a while but I have just ventured into the innards of smoking forums and the intricacies of pipes etc. I checked out that fella and already have a couple pipes that are interesting.

I really appreciate the no bullshit attitude thing. I hate to haggle and prefer to cut right to the chase.
Thanks, brother

Ol'Dawg":w2qu2vga said:
For an individual pipe maker, I suggest contacting Mike Brissett (a member of this board but hasn't posted in a while). His website Mike Brissett's Pipes

Jim
Just checked him out. He does have nice pipes for great prices.

Thanks for the heads up.

If you're interested in a pipe's utilitarian function (smoking) rather than aesthetics or collector's value, then you can easily find one for under $100 (under $30 might have posed a problem). Get a Stanwell, Savinelli, Sasieni or Nording -- all make LOTS of pipes in the $50 to $100 range. Or, if you're starting out and don't have a "rotation" yet, you could get three to four Dr. Grabows with that money in a variety of shapes. I would personally go for the latter if I were just starting out. A lot of smokers consider Grabow to make an inferior product, but I own several Grabows and they include the best "smokers" in my collection (although the odds of getting a "lemon" Grabow are higher than with the other brands). I also swear by the Gatlinburlier's house pipes -- the equal of Stanwells, IMO, starting at $30.

I don't know what you have in the way of BMs in your area, but if you have any you might want to look at what is referred to as "basket" pipes. These are generally mass produced, often in France, to be sold in shops that often stamp their name on them. There's not much fancy to them, but they are generally fairly well made and are perfectly serviceable. Things to look for are fit of stem to stummel, and can you run a pipe cleaner easily through the stem to the bowl. Also, is the drilling centered in the bowl and does it enter at the bottom. Most of these, in my experience use no type of filter or stinger, which I prefer.

Also, don't overlook cobs, as they offer a very cheap alternative that provides a great smoke.

Iwan Reis, of Chicago, used to offer "seconds" or "naturals" that were excellent pipes, I believe, primarily Savinellis for around $30. These are excellent smokers, I have a couple in my rotation that are 25 years old and still see regular use.

A highly reputable E-Bay seller, Steve Fallon, a.k.a. Pipestud has excellent offerings on a weekly basis. These are mostly "estate" or used pipes and I have picked up some fantastic bargains with him and his shipping is always reasonable. He often offers "lots" of pipes(several for one price) that provide a quick way to build a collection.

Keep in mind, that any used pipes should be thouroughly cleaned befor use, but this is something you should be easily capable of.

In my area, drugstores and Walmart still carry Dr. Grabows. You may have to hunt them up, but these are also good cheap pipes.

Hope this helps. Remember that nearly any pipe will fulfill the basic function satisfactorily and as long as you are happy with the end result, that's all that matters. I enjoy my cobs just as well as my Charatans, everything else is just popcorn. :lol!:

I believe most David Jones pipes sell new on eBay, directly from his shop, for under $100.
A lot have lately anyway. Just do a search. He has many admirers.

IMHO, There may be more excelent smoking pipes in the $30.00 to $100.00 range
than some folks are willing to admit.If you include estate pipes, the field is even broader.I have many so called "no Name Pipes" that cost between 30 & 50 bucks,
and not only are they great smokers, but great looking pipes as well.I never buy any pipe that does not have a lot of visual apeal to me.Many of them also dwell in the Range that you speak of.

"There's a story behind every bowl"

I checked out that fella and already have a couple pipes that are interesting.
Pipes on the Specials page often have about the turn-around time of FVF : here today, gone today.

Lots of good advice in this thread so far. I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Bjarne or Brebbia yet, though. Both companies produce fantastic smoking pipes. Out of the 10 Bjarne's I've owned, only 1 didn't provide a satisfactory smoke immediately, but it did eventually. I've owned two Brebbias, one cheapo ($45) and one Pura estate ($45). The cheapo had nice grain, was of an excellent size and weight for me (small), and provided an excellent smoke. The Pura, which would've commanded a much higher price new, provided the same excellent smoke that the cheapo did, it just looked a lot more attractive.

Bjarnes are no longer in production, due to the unfortunate death of Bjarne Nielsen, but you can still find them in a lot of places. Cup O' Joes, for example: http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&nitem=bjafsv09&tier2=59

If you want to go with an artisan, you can find a few members of this forum who make a great pipe for the buck. James from JSEC pipes makes a great smoking and great looking pipe for very little money. You might have to break the $100 barrier, but only just. His site: http://www.jsecpipes.com/

I second the Boswell recommendation. I've never smoked one, but you can often find several on their site for under $100 and they have a stellar reputation for creating pipes that smoke perfectly. The only challenge is getting one before they're all snapped up for the week. The great thing is they post a bunch every Thursday. Their site: http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Good luck on your search!

Yak":9dtrd5ze said:
I checked out that fella and already have a couple pipes that are interesting.
Pipes on the Specials page often have about the turn-around time of FVF : here today, gone today.

You have to wonder if that's because they are worth it or just cheap and/or available for a short period of time a la FVF. I've smoked that by the way. Good, Definitely smelled like hay etc, I don't get the bromance for it.

Thanks for the tips

UberHuberMan":3cwxz3ri said:
Lots of good advice in this thread so far. I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Bjarne or Brebbia yet, though. Both companies produce fantastic smoking pipes. Out of the 10 Bjarne's I've owned, only 1 didn't provide a satisfactory smoke immediately, but it did eventually. I've owned two Brebbias, one cheapo ($45) and one Pura estate ($45). The cheapo had nice grain, was of an excellent size and weight for me (small), and provided an excellent smoke. The Pura, which would've commanded a much higher price new, provided the same excellent smoke that the cheapo did, it just looked a lot more attractive.

Bjarnes are no longer in production, due to the unfortunate death of Bjarne Nielsen, but you can still find them in a lot of places. Cup O' Joes, for example: http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&nitem=bjafsv09&tier2=59

If you want to go with an artisan, you can find a few members of this forum who make a great pipe for the buck. James from JSEC pipes makes a great smoking and great looking pipe for very little money. You might have to break the $100 barrier, but only just. His site: http://www.jsecpipes.com/

I second the Boswell recommendation. I've never smoked one, but you can often find several on their site for under $100 and they have a stellar reputation for creating pipes that smoke perfectly. The only challenge is getting one before they're all snapped up for the week. The great thing is they post a bunch every Thursday. Their site: http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Good luck on your search!
Thanks for all the info. I checked out some of the Bjarne's. They are very reasonably priced and look pretty good. I've also visited JSEC website and feel the same. I completely forgot about Brebbia pipes. I will have to start looking for them.

Thank You for the well wishes, btw. All of this started from a boredom with the 8 pipes I have and now I feel like I'm on a quest for the "right pipe at the right price" I know I'm going to over analyze and examine and end up impulse buying something entirely different from what I intended.

I was meaning to post an intro as my first post, but haven't gotten around to it yet....sorry. Saw this thread and thought there are too many good posts to pass up posting to it as well.

On Pulvers' site in the specials section there is a North Dane #349868 Category B for sale. This is made by Georg Jensen, which, in my experience, makes great pipes. If you want a good, inexpensive pipe, I'd put that one on the list. I have a pretty wide range of pipes in different price levels, but I own 3 G. Jensen pipes and all of them are very good smokers. One is a GREAT smoker and a go to pipe for me. The stems are all comfortable, they all pass the pipe cleaner test, and they smoke cool. I really think they are a tremendous value.

If you want a more personal experience with a pipe maker, I will agree with another post that Mike Brissett makes great pipes. I have 2 of his pipes and absolutely love them.

As others have said, Stanwell and Savinelli are consistently good values. I've owned quite a few of these brands and have found a few duds, but that's bound to happen. Mostly I've been very happy with them though.

Amen to Brebbia.

The only Brebbia pipe I ever had was one of their very- top-of-the-line ones ; I only got it because, for whatever reason, these don't hold their value worth squat. Older and well broken in when I got it, it was easily equal or superior to anything I can even imagine being out there. (It wound up as a present to a good friend who likes wider bowls than I do).

Ol'Dawg":6xl9s2gi said:
For an individual pipe maker, I suggest contacting Mike Brissett (a member of this board but hasn't posted in a while). His website Mike Brissett's Pipes

Jim
Ditto. My Brissett pipe is a fine smoker.

Being a poor man, my target range is $75-125 for pipes. I have several in that range and a few that are in the $125 - 200's. Four of my favorite pipes are under $100 and are fine smokers including the Brissett ($95), a Peterson Aran XL02 ($75), a Neerup Classic ($89), and a Stanwell Zebrano ($80).