Can you ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
Can you be both a tobacco "snob" and a tobacco "wh-re" at the same time?

I notice that many smokers identify themselves as fans of burlies, or Englishes, or Vas, or Va/Pers, or aromatics. I've gone through each of those phases since picking up the pipe in '90, but as of late it's come to me attention that I've pretty much decided I like each genre equally. I came to this realization while playing one of those "desert island" mind games -- you know, which examples from each genre would you take with you? I ended up realizing that (a) I'd be hard pressed to keep it limited to 20 blends I consider my personal benchmarks and (b) the main reason there are so many is that there are examples of each major blending type! I could easily trim down to a handful of, say, Balkans or Lakelands I really like, but there would be a huge gaping hole in my rotation (more accurately described as an "orbit" these days, I suppose).

Anyhow, how many of you smoke mainly one or two types of tobacco, and how many of you are happy playing the field for all its worth?

It's totally possible to be a genre-hopper and still be tobacco connoisseur at the same time. Consider wine afficionados--they drink widely, across brands, styles, varietals and vintages.

The way I see it, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines, and he literally wrote the book on wisdom. So if I have 700 tobaccos I love, and 300 I want a taste of from time to time, it's not a lack of discernment, just a love of variety.

To put it simply, I'm one of those guys that has been smoking pipe since my high school days, which has been a LONG time ago. My smoking habits vary with the seasons, being from New England probably one reason. I TOTALLY enjoy the whole realm of tobacco, and like you would be hard pressed to select any one blend that I could call exclusive to my palate. And so it goes with Single Malts also. Hope to some day share another dram with you at a future pipe show, Doc.
And I'd be disappointed if someone regarded me as a tobacco snob, as a tobacco slut would be acceptable. :D :D

I have a huge variety of tastes personally. If that makes me a whore, so be it. :cheers:

My favorite genre is devinitely VaPer but I´ll try anything. I only cellar my "tried and true blends" but will always buy new stuff I´ve never tried in any TAD.

Way I figure, it´s a little like books: Fiction novels are good, but Tom Clancy and NOTHING else?! :suspect:

docwatson":ouo6dhjy said:
And so it goes with Single Malts also. Hope to some day share another dram with you at a future pipe show, Doc.
You know it, Doc! I'm buying this time.

How about calling it being a tobacco bachelor,,,date as many blends as you can, but never really commit to just one,,,

mark":96ox0d5v said:
How about calling it being a tobacco bachelor,,,date as many blends as you can, but never really commit to just one,,,
8)