canker sores

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
Every once and a while I get a canker sore. These are irritating, but go away soon enough. This is the first time however that I have had one when I was smoking regularly. If any of you also get these, do you stop smoking while you have one?

rev

Funny you brought this up.

I get one small canker sore every decade or so, and one popped up between my lower lip and gumline about a week ago. Didn't affect smoking at all. Had a vinaigrette dressing on a salad that almost made me die, though. :lol:

Here's to another 10 years without one. :raisespipe:

8)

Haven't had one of those for maybe 20 years or more. But when I did I used this-

dUDr6XEm4v6DuvJyTcaeMx6oS7tJMNFqOgGZEftaOg1_smcxMArdIND8l3EdlXYluLqVtbD-qaRBocpWzghHJJ3okeE2pnPYVNlpkyHvP3AVyPemEtbCNHLf3SiEi1xDyHSKUpKU2KA

Cheers,

RR

Rev the meds I take make me prone to mouth ulcers, frolic acid from the vitamin section will help a lot. 800mcg is what's usually available over the counter and prescription strength is only 1mg so not much difference. Hope it helps!

Jim

I decided to keep smoking, and if I die I die :)

thanks for the advice, it isn't too painful so anbesol seems unwarranted. Might try the other stuff to help it heal fast

rev

hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab applied liberally but only for 5 seconds at a time, 2-3Xs daily

I find it interesting that anyone would even ask this question ! You have an injury to the tissue in ones mouth, smoke becomes an irratent in this situation so why would one continue to irratate it with smoking? Wait till it's healed, THEN go back to smoking. 'Taint rocket science :twisted:

monbla256":tmn3qv1v said:
I find it interesting that anyone would even ask this question ! You have an injury to the tissue in ones mouth, smoke becomes an irratent in this situation so why would one continue to irratate it with smoking? Wait till it's healed, THEN go back to smoking. 'Taint rocket science :twisted:
+1

I always tell people I can stop smoking for weeks at a time if I choose to because of the non-addictive nature of pipe smoking. If I'm sick or have a sore, I stop till I feel better simply because I can't enjoy it properly. I once coughed so hard, I blew out a crapload out of the bowl which made a PITA clean up job.

Also the smoke is all the more better after not having one in that long a time.

I don't smoke when I have one. But I can't stand them. Ruins my life when I get one. I either salt the heck out of them by rinsing my mouth constantly through out the day, or I use silver nitrate sticks to cauterize them. If I can catch it just as its forming, I can dissolve a tums there about every few hours and make it go away too.

Oh and the last thing I meant to add, some people say if you smoke, and then stop smoking for a bit you are MORE prone to getting one then.

I keep a small bottle of tea tree oil. While some have a reaction to it, I don't but it is something to consider when first trying it. It is anti almost all the nastiness that attack us. It is something I keep on hand and use when I'm not sure what to use. You can check it out on Wikipedia and get it off Amazon.

Cited are its antiviral. antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. It is used as an additive in some shampoos and soaps. If you regularly have cankers, you might try the soap as an ongoing preventative.

I get them very rarely. I found that smoking did not irritate it at all, but I cut back considerably while I had it. It was gone in the usual time period.

rev