Canoeing the James River redux

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
We had a great trip. 21 miles from Eagle Rock to Buchanan with an overnight. We forgot the camera so the pictures are taken with the phone.

View upriver from Campground:

nmsxPp.jpg

My wife with the old stone bridge pier in the background:

DDrS0y.jpg

Firing up a bowl of C&D Big and Burley #103:

eByJTp.jpg

The happy haze:

HZPXWc.jpg

Downstream:

XFngv8.jpg

Campsite:

4pV7hb.jpg

z9vqjg.jpg

With any luck we'll be Backpacking the Iron Ore trail up to Hoops Hole next weekend.  :)

I saw those bubble wrap cozies in your other river thread and could tell you're a man who knows what he's doing. Those things weigh almost nothing and cut your fuel use in half. (I'm an old school Svea user BTW)
I've been into open water kayaking for a few years now, but your pics are making me want to get back on the rivers in a canoe. They're like pickup trucks compared to sports cars.

George Kaplan":vkval3ut said:
I saw those bubble wrap cozies in your other river thread and could tell you're a man who knows what he's doing. Those things weigh almost nothing and cut your fuel use in half. (I'm an old school Svea user BTW)
I've been into open water kayaking for a few years now, but your pics are making me want to get back on the rivers in a canoe. They're like pickup trucks compared to sports cars.
My brother has a kayak, but he seems to mostly drive around with it on the roof of his car. :scratch: I also have an alcohol stove I made from the bottom of two beer cans. But I prefer the butane/propane canisters as it brings the water to a boil in about half the time. We bought a Katadyn Vario filter as we were burning fuel like there's no tomorrow. You really have to use one around here, amoebic dysentery is not a fun thing.